VMware Cloud Community
flyerguybham
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 single server pool-based permissions for VM creation

We have a single ESXi 4 server, and we want to allow multiple users to each have full control over their own Resource Pool (including VM creation) but not be able to create VMs in other people's pools. We created a Role called Resource Pool Administrator modeled after the role of the same name that can be found in vCenter. However, when a user who is granted Resource Pool Administrator role on a resource pool tries to create a VM in this resource pool, it complains that "User does not have the privilege "Virtual Machine > Inventory > Create New" on the Host.

Ideally, the user would only need that privilege on their own pool, which is how we set up the role. We don't want them to be able to create VMs outside of their own pool. Is this possible on ESXi 4 single server?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaneWendel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you make sure to check the box to propagate the permissions?

-

Shane Wendel, VCP

----------------- Shane Wendel VCP: vSphere 4 VCP: VI3 http://fatalsync.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
flyerguybham
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, propagation is enabled, but that would only affect permissions for -child- objects of the level at which the role was granted, right? The structure is:

Host

Resource Pool #1 <---- user1 granted the role Resource Pool Administrator here, with propagation

Resource Pool #2

Unfortunately, user1 cannot create VMs in Resource Pool #1, with the reason given that he does not have privilege Virtual Machine > Inventory > New at the Host level. I would have thought that if role Resource Pool Administrator has permission to create a VM, and user1 is granted that role at Resource Pool #1, then user1 would be able to create VMs underneath Resource Pool #1. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. And obviously, if I grant user1 the privilege Virtual Machine > Inventory > New at the Host level, that would mean he could create VMs anywhere, which is exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Thanks,

Fran

0 Kudos
dstrang
Contributor
Contributor

Fran -

Have you made any progress on this? I'm stuck with the same issue myself.

In fact, even if I grant Create New on the host, I still get the same error unless I propagate the permission across the entire server (despite it being set already on my target resource pool).

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
flyerguybham
Contributor
Contributor

David,

We fought with it a little bit more and eventually gave up. Our "solution" was to give everyone admin rights to all resource pools, and enforce policy verbally within the group. Less than ideal to be sure, but we could not get it to function the way we wanted it to.

If you happen to resolve it, please post to this thread. Thanks!

-Fran

0 Kudos