VMware Cloud Community
sol686
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 install halts at loading vtd module

Hi, when I boot up the ESXi 4 install cd, the disc boots fine; but when it prepares to load the setup program the system halts on trying to load the very last module (VTD).

The disc is fine and the iso was checked with md5. I run a Xeon X3350 processor on an Intel DX48BT2 mainboard. I currently have VMware Workstation 6.5 running on this machine.

Could anyone help me out here?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try going into your host BIOS and disabling VT-d.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - Are you trying to load ESXi 4.0 under a VM in Workstation or install directly onto the machine? If you are trying to install directly you might not be succesful because ESX/ESXi is very particular about the hardware installs to - If you are trying to install into VM under workstation check out - http://xtravirt.com/xd10089

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sol686
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to install it directly on my machine. I guess there isn't much hope of getting it to work then?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probably not - but check as it has information on using non-supported hardware to run ESXi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try going into your host BIOS and disabling VT-d.

0 Kudos
sol686
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, that did it!

The thought had occured to me that the vtd module might have something to do with VT-d, but I never thought that disabling this feature in the BIOS would help. I just hope I won't miss VT-d too much...

Thanks so much. Tomorrow I will start configuring the host and hopefully install some guests.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VT-d is only used if you have physical I/O devices to pass through to your guests. See KB 1010789.

0 Kudos
MrCab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guess what shows up on google first for "ESXi stuck loading module vtd"?

This thread was helpful, and the VT-d module guy was dead on. I've been running my ESXi 4 box for a few months now and this was the first time it happened. My best guess as to why is a hardware change - adding an NVidia GeForce 8400 (8000 series at least) and a Haupage Win-PVR card to the box (MythTV on ESXi here I come, but that's a story for another thread).

That said, why am I posting here?

I have an Intel DQ35J0 board with some kinda Xeon (if you really want to know reply to this and I'll look at the box). Once I established turning VTD off in the BIOS worked, I poked around a little more. Something about "VA Appliances" in the BIOS immediately next to VTd was disabled, so I enabled it. Booting got past the vtd module that way.

Anyway, that's all I have to offer on the matter. Seemed weird that enabling that switch made VTD work. About as weird as VTD was suddenly breaking my boot in the first place.

0 Kudos
CH-Dave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found this thread via Google as well.

Interestingly enough, I had to ENABLE "Virtual Technology" support on my HP EliteBook 8530w laptop in order to get past the "Loading VTD module" point.

Once I enabled it, the ESXi installer ran fine and I was able to install ESXi on an inserted USB thumb drive.

IMG_20110215_122530-1.jpg

0 Kudos