0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is it possible to have the new vCenter 5.1 use the existing 4.1 database

Ans: Its not possible, during the upgrade of vCenter Server from 4.1 to 5.1, i have seen database schema changes. Schema will not be compatible freshly install vCenter server 5.1 and connects to 4.1 database and  its not supported.

Has the 3 ESXi 4.1 hosts report to center 5.1?

Ans: It's possible, ESXi4.1 works seamlessly with vCenter Server 5.1. Once you upgrade vCenter server to 5.1, all esx4.1 host will connect back to upgraded vCenter Server 5.1

The other option Im contemplating is setting up the vCenter 5.1 with a new SQL database.

Ans: you will loose all the configurations and need to connect ESX4.1 back to the new center Server 5.1 and do the re-configuration

Also are there any issues keeping the hosts at 4.1 while using vCenter 5.1 for a couple of weeks?

Ans: As mentioned above, it works and compatible.

--Nithin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is it possible to have the new vCenter 5.1 use the existing 4.1 database

Ans: Its not possible, during the upgrade of vCenter Server from 4.1 to 5.1, i have seen database schema changes. Schema will not be compatible freshly install vCenter server 5.1 and connects to 4.1 database and  its not supported.

Has the 3 ESXi 4.1 hosts report to center 5.1?

Ans: It's possible, ESXi4.1 works seamlessly with vCenter Server 5.1. Once you upgrade vCenter server to 5.1, all esx4.1 host will connect back to upgraded vCenter Server 5.1

The other option Im contemplating is setting up the vCenter 5.1 with a new SQL database.

Ans: you will loose all the configurations and need to connect ESX4.1 back to the new center Server 5.1 and do the re-configuration

Also are there any issues keeping the hosts at 4.1 while using vCenter 5.1 for a couple of weeks?

Ans: As mentioned above, it works and compatible.

--Nithin
0 Kudos
Kevin_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I wanted to setup a new vCenter 5.1 server but point it to the 4.1 database so it gets upgraded during the install, I assume I just need to make sure the vCenter 4.1 server is turned off?

Any other precautions besides making sure i have backup of the 4.1 database?

thanks!

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203228...

"vCenter Server 5.1 does not support directly migrating an existing vCenter Server to a new machine during an upgrade to version 5.1. You can migrate an existing vCenter Server to a new machine during an upgrade to version 5.0, and then perform an in-place upgrade from version 5.0 to version 5.1."

Also If you are using custom certs in your environment, you might want to be extra careful with those.

5.1 has the SSO requirement so you need to decide where you will place your SSO server.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com