VMware Cloud Community
serillo
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0.0 different updates.

Hi!

Some time ago I installed ESXi 4 (from installable ISO from vmware.com, build-171294) on one HP Proliant server. Few days ago I successfully updated it with vSphere Host Update Utility to build-208167 (I think this is Update 1). Today I installed ESXi 4 on second HP server but from HP's iso (HPVM06). But HUU updates this second host only to build-193498. Is it possible to update it to 208167 or I need to reinstall it from scratch using Update 1 installable iso?

The reason to installing from HP's iso was that that there are integrated IM providers.

BTW, the image that is available from vmware.com (VMware ESXi 4.0 with HP Customization, Version 4, 164009 - 11/09/09) seems broken (although md5 is ok) - Nero reports ISO error: mismatch between block size and image size.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

looks like this issue is same as http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016070.

you have to stop HP management agents before upgrade.

:+: VCP,RHCE,EMCPA.

serillo
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm... No, there is no fail or timeout during update. HUU just says that the host is up to date. It's seems that at least now this update is blocked or removed from depo (due to 1016070 issue) and HUU simply knows nothing about it.

Since this is the new server I simly reinstalled ESXi from the iso with ingrated update 1.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
enDemand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you're experiencing the downside of OEM-based ESXi versions, even with the installable edition. It's also one of the reasons why I won't even consider the embedded route at all. Since Update 1 just came out last Thursday, it's possible that HP is a bit behind getting their update out (possibley IBM and Dell too). Also, it's possible that HP is waiting for a particular bug that was just discovered with Update 1 to be fixed before they release their own update...see this for more information. The bug specifically deals with update issues when OEM CIM agents/modules exist. I'm sure HP will have their update out soon enough though...or they'll feel the wrath of their customer base. Smiley Wink

If you find this or any other answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer "correct" or "helpful".