VMware Cloud Community
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5u5 and vCenter 4.0 (beta)

I'm using the 60 day eval versions of ESXi 3.5u5 and 4.0u1

I'm using the beta version of vCenter server.

I have several x64 hosts running ESXi 4.0 u1. These hosts are joined to my vCenter server, all run great no probs.

I have three 32 bit servers running ESXi 3.5 u5 that I cannot join to vCenter without a license server (and, I suppose a license file to put on that server). When I attempt to add a 3.5 host to the server I get:

-

License Server not Configured

-

VI3 hosts cannot be added if vCenter is licensed but License Server is not configured. Configure License Server and try again.

I don't see a download for the VI3 license server, and/or a 60 day license file to host on that server. How do I make the beta version of vCenter accept pre ESXi 4 hosts?

I'm guessing that the answer will be "use the 60 day trial of vCenter and not the beta"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you want to use 3.5 clients with vCenter 4.0 you will need to download and install the 3.5 licence server as they use a different licencing type.

Instructions in the following link

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you want to use 3.5 clients with vCenter 4.0 you will need to download and install the 3.5 licence server as they use a different licencing type.

Instructions in the following link

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that's definately the correct answer, exactly what I need.

Scott, do you know where I find the .lic file to put on the license server? See attached,my download page for ESX 3.5 "product license and download"

It gives me the usual license key, but no .lic file. Do I have to create manually it using the key?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm using the beta version of vCenter server.

OK and why can't you install the GA release of vCenter?

0 Kudos
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

by GA you mean the generally available 60 day trial?

I suppose I could, but I'd like to have all my hosts under one vCenter server. I'm setting up a vmware View test lab and I'd like to keep it as clean/simple as possible. two vCenters seems wierd to me...no?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

don't use the beta version, especially if you are going to demo VMware View. I'm surprised the beta is still even functional. Download vCenter4U2 or View, therefore you can get a 60 day eval of a GA product.

ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you log into your account there are some drop downs saying where do you want to go

Choose Manage product licence's and VMware infrastructure 3

It should be self explanatory from there

I hope this helps
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks troy, will I be able to join 3.5 hosts to the GA vcenter 60 day trial without any license server drama?

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you want to use any 3.5 hosts you will need a licence server, if you only have version 4 you dont

This is still a requirement regardless of the version of vCenter

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
EricTrentMiller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that's what I thought, thanks again.

having trouble finding a .lic for ESX 3.5 still though. I'll dig around in there and find it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos