VMware Cloud Community
Samyboy
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 and vShpere 4.0.

I have ESXi Server 3i 3.5.0 build -199239. I have installed vSphere 4.0 but am not able to connect ESXi host in Vshpere 4.0. Please some one help. It is very frustrating. Also I have Site recovery Manger installed but since I could not connnect to ESXi host where all my vm's are. I get error message in SRM.

Second questions how do you download and installed plug-ins in Vmware infrastructure client V2.5. When you click the Plug-in button it is empty. Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you say you installed vSphere - are your referring to ESX or vCenter? I am assumin you mean vCenter - can you ping your ESXi 3.5 host from your vCenter server?

Moving on to SRM - which version are you using? To be able to use ESX 4.0 you have ot be using SRM 4.0.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Samyboy
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install Vshpere 4.0 and load License server to manage my ESXi3.5 hosts. All my VM's are running on ESXi 3.5 hosts. I am running VSphere 2.5 built 162850 and ESXi 3.5 built 199239. I am able to connect to ESXi 3.5 host through Vshpere 2.5. Next what I openned up a Windows 2003 server from ESXi 3.5 host through Vshpere 2.5. Then I installed Vsphere 4.0 on the server and also installed license server just in case on the same server. But when I try to connect to my ESXi 3.5 host through Vsphere 4.0 client i get this error message.

"VI3 host can not be added if vCenter is licensed but license server is not configured. Configure license server and try again."

I can ping all my server and hosts and they seems to see each other. Other thing what license Vcenter is asking to configure in License server?

I spend lot of time try to iron out this problem. If some one can help me. That will be highly appreciated.

By the way I am not using VCenter 4.0 because I have 32bit enviornment only. My hardware support only 32-bit processing.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The thing to remember is vSphere no longer uses a Licensing Server so when you run in the mix mode your will need to install seperate license server and point your ESX 3.5 hosts to that -

0 Kudos
Samyboy
Contributor
Contributor

Would please elabrote when you say "Point host to that". How do you point host? . And where in the Vshpere 4.0 this setting is ? Thank you for your promptness.?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_legacy_host_lic.pdf for more informaiton on installing a license server in a vSphere environment -

0 Kudos
Samyboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the ESXi 3.5 licese number and not a file. I did it as mentioned in the document you specified. When i edit the license source and point it ot the License Server IP which is host id of the computer. It takes it but than in the ESX server edition it says "unlicensed" and you do not have any option to select. Other questions I have is that I can not print the document that you legacy documents. When try to print it kicks you out of the program. So I copied the file and try to print it. It will not print. But this is not that important. I can live by it. Please help."

0 Kudos