VMware Cloud Community
Declanf
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 4.1 to 5.1

Hi Folks

THe company i work for has a corporate license for esxi 4.1.

I am currently setting up a working area that requires roughly 15 systems using esxi.

The problem is that the new systems we bought are not compatible with 4.1 so i have started to test a couple of these systems with 5.1 which works perfectly.

is there anyway around this.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Its not clear for me what you want to workaround, do you want to run 4.1 on the new systems or do you want to run 5.1?

What do you mean exactly with "a corporate license"? Do they only have one vSphere 4.1 license?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Declanf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo

Thanks for the reply,

I waqnt to run 5.1 on the new systems, as 4.1 is not compatible.

Yes we only have a licence for 4.1.

thanks again.

Declan

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So then its easy, buy new licenses for the new hosts unless you want to run ESXi free.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
z_chris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Declan,

As long as you are up to date with your support maintenance contract then you should be able to upgrade your licenses from v4 to v5. To abide by the EULA you can upgrade the licenses a few at time until you have all your hosts to v5.

Chris

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I understood it as you already have running hosts with 4.1 but maybe I missunderstood, if you want to replace the current hosts with new ones its just to download the new licensekeys from the portal.

If you do not have an existing support-contracts talk to your partner or local VMware Salesteam to get it sorted out.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos