VMware Cloud Community
kanders
Contributor
Contributor

ESX upgrade 3.5 to 4.0, vcenter on datastore san

I need to upgrade my ESX 3.5 hosts to 4.0. Went through the documentation and still need more information. My vcenter is on a shared datastore san, but vmware upgrade guide suggest to mask the datastore or disconnect it to prevent any issues during upgrade. How can I upgrade my hosts with vcenter update manager? or will i have to use the host update utility?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Just update one host at a time. Don't update the host when it has the vCenter guest on it

0 Kudos
kanders
Contributor
Contributor

so i can update my host without disconnecting the san and vcenter without any problems? why does vmware suggest to disconnect the san during upgrade and install?

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

I have had no problems.

But if you want to be safe, remove the physical connection from the host, or disable HBAs in bios. Obviously you should be in maintainance mode.

PuliSukumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kanders,

You can upgrade the host with out disconnecting the SAN setup. That's only a best practice. If you wish to keep your cos vmdk on SAN Data store you can use SAN LUN. You can use either of vcenter update manager? or will i have to use the host update utility?

Thanks,

Sukumar.

0 Kudos