VMware Cloud Community
RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX host and vcenter upgrade details

Hi

When i run vmware -v on my esx host. i see output as  VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-208167 and my vcenter server shows 4.0.0, 208111 and i want to upgrade to  VC\ESX 4.0 update 2. When i check the upgrades for ESX 4.0.0 build-208167, it shows me the build under ESXi (Embedded and installable) and not under ESX. A bit confused but is that correct? Also the latest build is "Build Number: 660575". Can i directly go there? What is the process?

please advise

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. So my hosts right now are on ESX update and build number, following your steps would take them to ESXi lastest update and build number which is simply the next latest update level and patch level.Would that be the right interpretation? Do we call this an update or upgrade?

>>> the steps i've mentioned will bring the ESX 4.0 host to the latest update level, ie ESX 4.0 update4.... NOT TO ESXi.

2. What is the right approach in finding the latest update and patch level , taking my example into  account so that i don't have to bother you guys again in future.

>>> Keep track of VMware patch portal http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/download.portal

Select the product ESX and version 4.0.0 and do a search. it will list out the latest patches and updates released. you can check with the dates or patch numbers.

3.Based on the steps you have provided, can i simply upload the update bundle and the patch to a ONE of the datastores that is being presented to these hosts and then run the esxupdate command ofcourse after putting the server in the maintenance mode first?

>>>Yes

4.Is there a separate process to update the vCenter server also?

>>>> For vCenter, you have to download the vCetner installer for 4.0 Update 4 and run the installer.

Please go through vSphere 4.0 Upgrade guide for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can go directly from ESX 4.0.x to 4.0U2, using patches.  Not sure that's considered an "upgrade", per se.  You can use Update Manager or download the build and update that way.

As typical, just update vCenter first, if you have not done s.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
rajvm256
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Rahul,

You can upgrade to the latest version of ESX 4.0 if you want to stay at ESX 4.0.  Build Number: 660575 is the patch that was released. You can update the ESX to the latest patches or even to latest update. (using esxupdate/vihostupdate or update manager)

Hope it is clear..

Thanks | http://virtualvm.info/
0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When i run vmware -v on my esx host. i see output as  VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-208167 and my vcenter server shows 4.0.0, 208111 and i want to upgrade to  VC\ESX 4.0 update 2.

Is there any specific reason for upgrading to Update 2? Update 4 (Build no 504850) is available for ESX 4.0 with the latest bug fixes.

When i check the upgrades for ESX 4.0.0 build-208167, it shows me the build under ESXi (Embedded and installable) and not under ESX. A bit confused but is that correct?

There is no Upgrade bundles for ESX, only update bundles are available.  The process of applying the bundle is as similar as patching (using esxupdate, vihostupdate or VUM) that may be the reason for calling it as Updates.

Update bundles for ESX 4.0 are available in VMware Patch download portal - http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/findPatch.portal.

Also the latest build is "Build Number: 660575". Can i directly go there? What is the process?

660575 is the build number of latest patch ( ESX400-201203001 ) available for ESX 4.0. Since its a patch it will cover only few fixes.

I would recommend to update the host with Update 04 first and apply the patch after that.

The steps are here.

1. Download Update04 offline bundle (https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/OFFLINE/release-321-20111116-409495/update-from-esx4.0-4....).

2. Copy (scp) to ESX host, prefereable to a VMFS volume which has enough freespace.

3. Put the host into maintenance mode.

4. Run the command

#esxupdate --bundle=/vmfs/volumes/<datastore>//update-from-esx4.0-4.0_update04.zip

5. Reboot the host.

6. Run the command

#vmware -l                ------>>>> to see the update level "VMware ESXi 4.1.0 Update 2"

#vmware -v              -------->>>> confirm the buildnumber

7. Download the patch https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/OFFLINE/release-329-20120326-161642/ESX400-201203001.zip.

8. Repeat the stpes 2 to 7.

RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Yezdi.

1.There is no specific reason for upgrading to update 2; I will go to update 4 as recommended and then apply the patch.

2.When i do a vmware -l and vmware -v on the hosts i get the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 1 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-208167

3.On some of the hosts i see the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348 respectively.

4.On the vmware site when i go to support & downloads and search under ESX i can see the build number398348 however i see the build 208167 under

ESXi (Embedded and installable). Why is this and what is the difference? I am confused between the two. Do you mean 4.0 is ESX and 4.1 is ESXi

5. The steps that you have listed, can i use the same steps to update the the hosts which show the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348.

6. What is the easiest way to figure out based on my update level and build number what the next update level and build number is?

7. Is this the update that i need for the hosts which are on VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348, if yes then what level will it take me to?

ESX.png

Too many questions , hoping this will clear all my doubts.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

2.When i do a vmware -l and vmware -v on the hosts i get the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 1 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-208167

it means the ESX version installed is 4.0 Update 1 (build no : 208167).

3.On some of the hosts i see the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348 respectively.

ESX version is 4.0 Update3 (build no 398348)

Updates are like Windows service packs. An update for the ESX GA releases (eg: 4.0, 3.0, 3.5 etc are major releases) contains the bug fixes and few new features.

4.On the vmware site when i go to support & downloads and search under ESX i can see the build number398348 however i see the build 208167 under

ESXi (Embedded and installable). Why is this and what is the difference? I am confused between the two. Do you mean 4.0 is ESX and 4.1 is ESXi

In ESX, 213128 is the build number for the Update1 bundle (ESX-4.0.0-update01a ). This build number change is due to a re-spin of 4.0 Update1 bundle. Its rare scenario, re-spin of released builds happens if there is any major issue found immediately after product release. Thas the reason for the suffix "a" in the bundle name "ESX-4.0.0-update01a". You can find that actual build number for update1 is still 208167 (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014842)

In summary for upgrading ESX 4.0 to Update 1 we've to use the bundle ESX-4.0.0-update01a (build no 213128 ).

After Update when you run vmware -v it will show build number 208167 and vmware -l will show ESX 4.0 Update 1.

Since you dont have ESXi in you environment its better not to search under ESXi. The patches, updates and build numbers are different for ESX and ESXi. It will confuse you more.

5. The steps that you have listed, can i use the same steps to update the the hosts which show the output as VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348.

Yes.

6. What is the easiest way to figure out based on my update level and build number what the next update level and build number is?

From 2nd and 3rd point you have mentioned there is no host with Update4. So Update 4 is the latest version for your environment. You can update any ESX 4.0 (Update1, 2 or 3) versions to Update4 using the same Update bundle (update-from-esx4.0-4.0_update04 ). 

7. Is this the update that i need for the hosts which are on VMware ESX 4.0.0 Update 3 and VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-398348, if yes then what level will it take me to?

Yes, It will update the host to Update4.

0 Kudos
RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much again. Last few and final questions before i start the implementation work.

1. So my hosts right now are on ESX update and build number, following your steps would take them to ESXi lastest update and build number which is simply the next latest update level and patch level.Would that be the right interpretation? Do we call this an update or upgrade?

2. What is the right approach in finding the latest update and patch level , taking my example into  account so that i dont have to bother you guys again in future.

3.Based on the steps you have provided, can i simply upload the update bundle and the patch to a ONE of the datastores that is being presented to these hosts and then run the esxupdate command ofcourse after putting the server in the maintenance mode first?

Regards
R

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>>> the steps i've mentioned will bring the ESX 4.0 host to the latest update level, ie ESX 4.0 update4.... NOT TO ESXi.

2. What is the right approach in finding the latest update and patch level , taking my example into  account so that i don't have to bother you guys again in future.

>>> Keep track of VMware patch portal http://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/download.portal

Select the product ESX and version 4.0.0 and do a search. it will list out the latest patches and updates released. you can check with the dates or patch numbers.

>>>Yes

>>>> For vCenter, you have to download the vCetner installer for 4.0 Update 4 and run the installer.

Please go through vSphere 4.0 Upgrade guide for more details.

0 Kudos
RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5. Reboot the host.

6. Run the command

#vmware -l                ------>>>> to see the update level "VMware ESXi 4.1.0 Update 2"

#vmware -v              -------->>>> confirm the buildnumber

These were the steps that you mentioned and so i was confused that it will bring the update level to esxi

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

oops!! appologies for the typo.

Goodluck Rahul.

0 Kudos
RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update.png

Hopefully final question:

So this will be the latest update level, ie ESX 4.0 update4( ABOVE) that i will be installing first and then the patch which is the 660575 (BELOW)

Update.png

Upgrading the vCenter server can be taken as a last step after upgrading the hosts?

Regards,

R

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

i guess the pictures posted are same.

Upgrading the vCenter server can be taken as a last step after upgrading the hosts?

>>> First upgrade vCenter then go for host. Thats the recommended approach.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter should always be done first.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
RahulC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Server, 4.0.0, 208111 ; These are the details of my vCenter server.

I have come across this http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=ex&bbid=TSEBB_1295972440... 0 315436042&dialogID=315426440&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=1009080&sliceId=1&rfId=

But not sure if thats the right KB. Can you please point me to the right installer location and the steps to upgrade the vCenter server and recommendations.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos