VMware Cloud Community
jhsmith1967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 6.5-7 upgrade VIBs error

Hello,

I have an ESX host on an HP DL380 G9 running 6.5 and trying to upgrade to 7.0, I get a VIBs error but they don't match the VIBs commonly seen an i was wonding how to check to make sure the VIBs giving the error are not in use and will not cause an issue if I remove them.

Error: (need to research more before proceeding)
ESX 7 upgrade HP DL380 G9
Missing_Dependency_VIBS error: found=['VMware_bootbank_scsi-qla2xxx_902.k1.1-12vmw.550.3.68.3029944',
'VMware_bootbank_scsi-qla2xxx_902.k1.1-12vmw.550.3.68.3029944',
'VMware_bootbank_scsi-qla2xxx_902.k1.1-12vmw.550.3.68.3029944',
'QLogic_bootbank_scsi-bfa_3.2.5.0-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820',
'QLogic_bootbank_scsi-bfa_3.2.5.0-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820',
Expected-[] These vibs on the host are missing dependency if continued to upgrade. Remove these vibs before upgrade or use image builder to resolve this missing dependency issue.>

Thank you

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the vibs are not in use (you can check based on the KB), they can be removed, then continue the installation, but they may have further dependencies..

However if you are not aware about the source, then you could try do download the latest HP custom iso and update with that.

If you have the same result (vib dependencies), then I recommend to reinstall the host due the missing drivers which are required for the specified hardware.

Blog: vxprt.hu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@jhsmith1967 

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used - moved to vSphere Upgrade & Install Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Before trying to remove those vibs, check the original install media and the releaser. I've seen the same issue when the host was deployed from a Dell custom image and tried to upgrade from a standard iso.

If the host was deployed from a standard iso then you have to use a standard iso for upgrade. If the installer was released by third party like HP, DELL, Cisco or any other manufacturer, then their new release should be used.

Anyway, you can use this KB to check which drivers are in use: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1027206 

0 Kudos
jhsmith1967
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you...

I am not sure what the original installation media was, it was before my time and done by a previous engineer.

If I just remove the VIBs and run the installation it should install any VIBs I need should it not? I was trying to figure out how to verify what VIBs are in use so that I don't break something.

Again thank you!

Jeff

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the vibs are not in use (you can check based on the KB), they can be removed, then continue the installation, but they may have further dependencies..

However if you are not aware about the source, then you could try do download the latest HP custom iso and update with that.

If you have the same result (vib dependencies), then I recommend to reinstall the host due the missing drivers which are required for the specified hardware.

0 Kudos