VMware Cloud Community
2Wakky4me
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 5.1 using Emulex FCoE, no storage adapter found

Just installed ESX 5.1u1 (build 1065491) on a new IBM 3650M4 with an Emulex embeded 10G CNA (with the FCoE option)

But ESX cannot detect a storage adapter ... only the onboard RAID.

However ethernet on this adapter works fine ...

Does anyone have a hint ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
akims
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What kind of Emulex Adapter you have ? Default personality is NIC only. You can use "OneCommand Manager" from Emulex. There is a vCenter Plug-in you can install, and you also have to install the latest Emulex CIM Provider on the ESXi hosts. OneCommand Manager for vCenter plug-in propose to use ports 80 and 443. This won't work if you install it on the vCenter server (what I did). Instead I've used 4080 and 4443. If you install it on another computer, then it might not be an issue.

Then you will be able ton monitor and configure part of your Emulex features from vCenter (after installing the plug-in on your vSphere Client obviously). By selecting the card, you will be able to change the card personality to FCoE, unless you need to install a license to activate that feature, in what case you'll see it grayed out and you will see in the license table that it is unlicensed.

I got IBM x240 recently with Emulex CNA, and only NIC personality was active. I had to install a license to activate FCoE or iSCSI personalities.

0 Kudos