VMware Cloud Community
Stormdude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 4.1 update issues: Duplicate definitions of bulletin?

Hello,

I've been having some trouble upgrading from ESX 4 to ESX 4.1 using the commandline and "upgrade-from-ESX4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip". The error message that comes up is:

Encountered error MetadataFormatError:

The error data is:

Filename - None

Message - Duplicate definitions of bulletin ESX410-GA-esxupdate with

unequal attributes.

Errno - 5

Description - The format of the metadata is invalid.

We've already installed "pre-upgrade-from-ESX4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release" and have tried re-downloading a fresh copy of the update. Unfortunately searches are turning up nothing on the error message and our feeble attempts to fix the problem haven't worked!

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Grant

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pdp2shirts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ended up deleting (renamed) a file called bulletins.zip and re-ran the esxupdate update command and it completed. I am not able to tell you the exact path as I am on my iPhone.

Try "find / -name bulletins.zip" to locate the file then rename it to bulletins.old, then attempt the esxupdate.

Paul D. Pindell VCP4

Paul D. Pindell VCAP-DCA4

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
PuliSukumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Grant,

This might be because either the pre-Upgrade or the Upgrade bundle is corrupted. Please check the md5sum of both the bundles and try again.

Regards,

Sukumar

0 Kudos
Gaxi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue - the pre-upgrade bundle installed fine and the installation of the upgrade bundle fails with the error Grant reported.

I've checked the md5sum of both bundles - they are fine (event though I've downloaded / checked the bundles a second time but get the same result when installing the upgrade bundle)

Any ideas?

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
pdp2shirts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same issue here.

Preupgrade went fine. MD5s are correct. Have even tried rebooting after the preupgrade bundle, but no luck.

Paul Pindell VCP

0 Kudos
Stormdude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just confirmed the md5sum hashes are correct for both bundles. Any more thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
untrecht
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good morning. I'm working with my VMware SE to get these files. Can you please share the public link you used to download the one's you have? Many thanks!

0 Kudos
ralex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I also have the same problem!

md5 is ok

$vihostupdate -i -b upgrade-from-ESX4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip

Please wait patch installation is in progress ...

The format of the metadata is invalid.Duplicate definitions of bulletin ESX410-GA-esxupdate with unequal attributes.

And I have error while upgrading host with Update Manager.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
pdp2shirts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ended up deleting (renamed) a file called bulletins.zip and re-ran the esxupdate update command and it completed. I am not able to tell you the exact path as I am on my iPhone.

Try "find / -name bulletins.zip" to locate the file then rename it to bulletins.old, then attempt the esxupdate.

Paul D. Pindell VCP4

0 Kudos
ralex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found and rename this file

# find / -name bulletins.zip

/etc/vmware/esxupdate/bulletins.zip,

but after command vihostupdate -i -b <file>

received the same error...

0 Kudos
drechsau1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Paul, that was perfect and worked like a champ.

Now...why? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ralex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally, I've succesfully upgraded all my hosts to 4.1. One of them I upgraded after renaming file bulletins.zip, removing Nexus 1000V package and rebooting host and other with Update Manager without applying pre-upgrade package.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
nlb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same "duplicate" error and resolved it by renaming the bulletins.zip.

0 Kudos
ukdaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This happens if you inadvertently run the pre-upgrade check twice. As said above, renaming the bulletins.zip file does the trick

0 Kudos
Stormdude
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Paul... your fix worked!

0 Kudos