VMware Cloud Community
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 4.1 to ESXi 4.1

With the end of life for ESX coming about I am looking at deploying the ESXi hypervisor. IS there an upgrade path to switch between the 2 or is it a clean install of ESXi?

After I build my first ESXi server do I just vmotion my vCenter server to that host and then continue to rebuild the existing hosts to ESXi?

Looking for ideas and advice.

Thanks

Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ESXi 4.1 installation is pretty staright forward. You can also refer to the ESXi setup guide for details on setting up ESXi 4.1:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf

-Swati

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No upgrade path, you will need to wipe your ESX installation and install a fresh ESXi.

Make backup of your VMs, and yes, you can VMotion from ESX full to ESXi without any issues.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To shift from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 4.1, you will have to do a fresh install. There is no patch available for the same. After doing a fresh install, you can add the ESXi server to any vCenter Server.

Note: You can only vMotion Virtual Machines but never a host.

Hope this answers your query.

-Swati

0 Kudos
ANorton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with ESXi and pretty used to using ESX. Should I do some studying on the ESXi interface so I have less issues or is the install pretty straight forward?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ESXi 4.1 installation is pretty staright forward. You can also refer to the ESXi setup guide for details on setting up ESXi 4.1:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf

-Swati

0 Kudos