VMware Cloud Community
Uqaili
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.0 Host Upgrade Failure to Esx 4.1!! Any Help would be appreciated!!

Hi,

I tried upgrading the ESX host from 4.0 to ESX 4.1 u2 using VUM, initially the upgrade failed and i was told to update the vCenter Server and VUM to the latest release and build, which i did and now both are at 4.1.0 build 491557.

after upgrading the vcenter server, i uploaded the upgrade file and created the baseline and attached it to the cluster. scanned the cluster and started the remidiation process and got the same error as my last attempt before upgrading the vcenter Smiley Sad

fault.com.vmware.vcIntegrity.HostPatchESXUpdateFailure.summary

any suggestions or guidance to help resolve this error..

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Do you have updated VUM to vCenter Update Manager 4.1, before update ESXi hosts?

Check your VUM logs (usually “C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs” ) for more detail error

Uqaili
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Valeriy,

Yes I did updated vCenter Server and Update Manager both to the latest build before attempting the Host upgrade

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok. Do you can check VUM logs?

nikheelkumar16
Contributor
Contributor

Hii,

Check weather the vCenter Update Manager Services are running or not?..

Also check for Port 80, Generally IIS also uses the same port.

0 Kudos
Uqaili
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, i tried to go through the VUM logs but could not really identify any specific issue. it is kind a not clear Smiley Sad

any way i have opend a SR with VMware and still waiting for resolution.. shall update once i get a specfic answer / RCA..

thanks

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you attach the related errors VUM logs?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since you initially created the baseline with vCenter 4.0, did you delete the baseline and create a new Host Upgrade baseline after you upgraded vCenter Server and the Update Manager?

André

0 Kudos
Uqaili
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Yes, after the vCenter and VUM update I removed the upgrade zip file and deleted the baseline and then uploaded the recent ZIP file and created the new baseline.

BTW, I just uploaded the VUM logs in one of my replies as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Uqaili
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Valeriy,

Thanks for the quick response, attached please find the VUM logs for the failed attempt along with the time stamps etc.

First Attempt

Remediate entity   server9293

4/4/2012 10:57:02 PM         4/4/2012 10:57:02 PM    4/4/2012 10:58:50 PM

Second Attempt

4/4/2012 11:01:06 PM         4/4/2012 11:01:06 PM    4/4/2012 11:02:20 PM

Third Attempt

4/4/2012 11:07:48 PM         4/4/2012 11:07:48 PM    4/4/2012 11:09:03 PM

Appreciate to have your feedback.

Regards

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VUM log contains following issues:

1)

Exit code (Errors): 7, ('http://tor-vcenter.applications.reliant.internal:9084/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate/offline/vibs/cross_lsi-provider_410.04.V0.24-140815.vib', '/var/cache/esxupdate/643520042655888979', '[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found') (Host: server9293.applications.reliant.internal (Entity: host-1772)).

You can check

1.1 The free space on the ESX

1.2 Try to open in browser URL http://tor-vcenter.applications.reliant.internal:9084/vci/hostupdates/hostupdate/offline/vibs/cross_...

1.3 Clear hostupdate and metadata directories & try the patch download again, for details take a look at Remediating an ESX/ESXi host using VMware Update Manager fails with the error: Cannot download VIB f...

2)

This VIB supports product ID 'embeddedEsx', but host reports product ID as 'esx'

Item 1.3 can help

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

the hostname tor-vcenter.applications.reliant.internal is registed to DNS, go to Update Manager Admin, you have an option to resolve the Update manager by IP address. Provide it and try it out

Also using the same Update Manager are you able to download the patches and do the patching on other hosts

--Nithin
0 Kudos