VMware Cloud Community
Kiwibaa271
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 to 4.0 Upgrade

Hi ya,

I am planning to upgrade our ESX host’s from3.5 to 4.0. We are currently running 4 x ESX 3.5 Ent host’s with shared SANstorage and the VC running on a VM. These host’s support 35 VMs. I plan toupgrade the client and VC to 4.0 and then use the update mangr to upgrade thehost’s.

Question:how long can I keep the current VM’s on the new hosts before having to upgradethem. I want to upgrade these VM’s in small group’s over 2 weeks. Is there anyproblems with this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had a similar project. There's not problem with this approach as far as I know.

It's take a few reboots to get all the vm's up to version 7 of the guest hardware. Once you have upgraded you VC server upgrade then vm tools, then shutdown. Upgrade hardware, reboot. Also it worth make a note of the IP address of the guest just in case. I have read that some people lost there static IP addresses but I have not personally experienced this. Hope it all goes well!

Stuart

-

Please award points to any useful answer.

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't see any problems with this.

You will just have to live with the "VMware Tools out of date" message.

André

Valerianc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys, I am buying Dell Inspiron 580s model system with the below configuration.

• Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor (2.93GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)

Specifications - Processor

• 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory

• 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

I just want to know that, is this machine compatible for ESX 4.0?

will i able to install Workstation and on that atleast 3 ESX 4.0 OS.?

Regards,

thnx in advance.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I had a similar project. There's not problem with this approach as far as I know.

It's take a few reboots to get all the vm's up to version 7 of the guest hardware. Once you have upgraded you VC server upgrade then vm tools, then shutdown. Upgrade hardware, reboot. Also it worth make a note of the IP address of the guest just in case. I have read that some people lost there static IP addresses but I have not personally experienced this. Hope it all goes well!

Stuart

-

Please award points to any useful answer.

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
Kiwibaa271
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank Andre and Stuart for you help. I did hear somewhere that after the upgrade some VM's lost their IP. Will add your comments to our plan thanks Stuart.

0 Kudos
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I experienced the lost IP after upgrading....I am sure this is not the only answer but when I went into the settings of the machine and viewed the NIC it was set to "connect at power on", the machine was on...but the "connected" box was not checked. When I manually checked that box the IP returned and the machines have been functioning fine since. Hope that helps!

Brett Parlier
0 Kudos