VMware Cloud Community
NHessonSD21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 U4 (153875) to 4.1 U1 (348481)

Hello all,

Everything I have been reading tells me I "can" upgrade from ESX 3.5 to 4.1.  But when using Update Manager to do this, i am getting incompatible warnings.  "The upgrade has a missing package for host XXX of type esx".  Please see attached files.

Here are the steps taken to do the upgrade:

1. Installed a new 4.1 VCS on a VM running Windows 2008 R2.  Media used was VMware-VIMSetup-all-4.1.0-345042
  2. After Configuring VCS we removed all hosts (3.5.0 153875) from 2.5 VCS, and then added them to the new 4.1 VCS
  3. Installed Update Manager on the new VCS.
  4. Imported ESX-4.1.0-update01-348481.iso as the Host Upgrade Release.  This process completed successfully, but in the Imported Upgrade Release pane.  Under Status for that release we are getting Partial. Please see attached images
  5. Created a Baseline with that release
  6. Attached that baseline to ESX host
  7. Ran a scan

After a scan we are getting an incompatible for the esx host.  What am i doing wrong?  Or what can i do?

Thanks for all your time and help,

Nick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

In step four, the upgrade file you are seeking to import to Update Manager should be upgrade-from-ESXi3.5-to-4.1_update01.348481.zip.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Edit: Sorry, I misread as "ESXi". Ignore above.

Further edit:

From the release notes for the iso you used:

upgrade from ESX 3.5 Update 5a to ESX 4.1 Update1

You mention you are running ESX 3.5 U4. Perhaps you need to upgrade to 3.5 5a first.

0 Kudos
MikeNewAT
Contributor
Contributor

I am running into the same issue, same builds actually.  Was this ever resolved?

Edit: I actually have only resolved this issue by removing VUM, deleting the folders manually, and then re-installing.

This time I waited until all patch updates were downloaded from the repositories, and then I was able to update an ESX 3.5 U4 host to ESX 4.1U1

without incident.

I guess patience is the key?

0 Kudos