VMware Cloud Community
invisible777
Contributor
Contributor

Dual-homed VCSA 6.5 and Update Manager problem

My VCSA is dual homed - external interface has default gateway and communicates with Internet to download patches/updates. Internal interface is in non-routable network to communicate with hosts and for management purposes.

I've added second, internal eth1 interface after installation and initial configuration of VCSA was completed. There are no problems registering/communicating ESXi hosts via this second, Internal eth1 interface.

However, after several hours of trying I can't manage to change the IP address for the Update Manager to be used for host communication - no matter what I tried - it only shows the external interface's IP address or FQDN.

I've even tried to look inside VCSA for Update manager's config to change IP address manually but could not locate any such setting.

Any solution?

Thanks

9 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hi,

there wont be much users use the combination  'VUM + vCenter' since its a new feature in 6.5. If you couldn't find the answer in this thread I would recommend to open a SR with VMware.

0 Kudos
invisible777
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding 'new feature' - I doubt. I was running Update Manager and vcenter server on the same server/Vm since 4.0 and I am not alone.

Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I guess you are running vCenter server on windows. Am I correct?. If so please try reregistering vCenter with VUM.

VCSA is acronym for vCenter Server Appliance. First time VUM integrated with VCSA is in 6.5.

VMware vSphere Update Manager 6.5 is now embedded into the vCenter Server Appliance - VMware vSphere...

0 Kudos
invisible777
Contributor
Contributor

Before deploying VCSA I was running vcenter server on a Windows box and Update manager on the same box as well. That has been working fine for last 6 years.

Now I deployed VCSA and stumbled on that problem. I am 100% sure that this has quite an easy resolution - I won't believe that main vcenter app can work with two interfaces and update manager - can't

0 Kudos
josephusmaxi
Contributor
Contributor

I´ve still the same Problem.

Got someone any Ideas?

0 Kudos
josephusmaxi
Contributor
Contributor

It seems there is no solution.

So I have to rollback the vcsa 6.5 to vcenter for Windows 6.0.

Thats really worse.

0 Kudos
itrob
Contributor
Contributor

You'll need to set up a DNS server with entries for your vCSA on each network.  I'm dual-homing vCSA with my vCSA on one network and my ESXi hosts on a separate network.

Here are the steps:

1. Set up a Domain Name Service (DNS) server (i.e. I've used pfSense, but Windows Active Director seems to have fewer problems)

2. Create (2) DNS entries for your vcsa server (i.e. one for your public facing network/192.168.1.### and one for your private network/10.1.1,###)

For example:

192.168.1.11 vcsa.vsphere.local

10.1.1.11 vcsa.vsphere.local

3. Install vCSA using a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) versus an IP address.

- If you already installed vCSA with an IP address, you'll have reinstall the vCSA, since the IP address will be hard coded into the Primary Network Identifier (PNID).

- Using an FQDN allows it to serve as a variable to reference multiple IP addresses in DNS for the vCSA.

4. Go to the vCSA Update Manager / Admin View / Settings / Network Connectivity

5. Under "Update Manager patch store used by the ESXi Hosts", click on the "Edit" button

6. Click on the down arrow and select the IP address on your private network (i.e. 10.1.1.###)

Be forewarned that VMware doesn't support vCSA with dual interfaces, and the VMware Update Manager (VUM) intermittently loses the IP addresses from the DNS server.  When that has happened, I haven't been able to fix the VUM except by reloading the vCSA VM / OVA file.  So far, it's only happened with the pfSense DNS and not the Windows DNS.

0 Kudos
itrob
Contributor
Contributor

See solution below.

0 Kudos
midniterider
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with dual-homed VCSA. I updated the /etc/hosts file each ESXi and associated the FQDN with the VCSA IP Address directly connected to the same network as the ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos