VMware Cloud Community
Rayson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downloading Problems, Dual Parition, MAC installation, Antivirus and Application

Hi Mods,

GOt aFew Question that really need some answers. Sorry If I've posted this in the Incorrect Topic Page but The WMware Worksation is Closed. Sorry for the Noob questions but I've Tried some research But I cnnot Find the support Center or FAQ's here. and even aswer to one of my problems

First I am Trying to download the Trial Version but It Gave me errors. I have tried to download it 4 times, but in the middle of downloading it tells me to put in Username and pasword. When I've put my emailadd and the password in It stopped downloading.. The Specs that I currently have are 384 SDRam, p3 700mhz processor,80GB HDD, an Internet speed of 200kbps and I am using a download accelerator. I know the Specs of my computer are antiques but I'm a Graduating I.T. Student, and I dont need Highend Computers to finish Projects and Programs. My mom will buy this product If I told her that I need this in school and I do!

Second I have a Linux and Windows XP partitioned on my computer. Does that Mean I have to reformat the Computer and Remake the Dual-Partitioned space before Using this Product?

Third after the installation How can I install a Macintosh on a Windows Based Computer using this software and I dont have a CD for MAC?

Lastly do I have to install an Anti-Virus or Mozilla Firefox for Each of the Windows that I created?

Please I really need some answers and Thank you so much for all who will reply,

Rayson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello there,

I think some of this has been lost in translation but i'll help where I can!

VMware workstation can be downloaded from here : http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/ : You will need to register an account with VMware. You can download VMware workstation for either Windows or Linux clients (version depending). Please post the errors you are seeing and describe the issues further. Alternatively you could look at VM player if you are just wanting to work with appliances and pre-created VMs.

You will struggle to run (m)any virtual machines with only 384 MB of physical RAM. You may be able to run legacy windows VMs or virtual appliances, but not alot else.

You will not have to re-partition your machine to run VM Workstation as long as you have enough disk space available to each partition for the install and any VMs you wish to create.

To run Apple OSX within VM workstation you will need a licensed copy of Mac OSX. You will also not be able to run OSX with those hardware specs.

Lastly, you do not HAVE to install antivirus or any other software within your VM guest, but it is good practice to do so. Secure your guest OSes as you wouldif they were physical.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello there,

I think some of this has been lost in translation but i'll help where I can!

VMware workstation can be downloaded from here : http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/ : You will need to register an account with VMware. You can download VMware workstation for either Windows or Linux clients (version depending). Please post the errors you are seeing and describe the issues further. Alternatively you could look at VM player if you are just wanting to work with appliances and pre-created VMs.

You will struggle to run (m)any virtual machines with only 384 MB of physical RAM. You may be able to run legacy windows VMs or virtual appliances, but not alot else.

You will not have to re-partition your machine to run VM Workstation as long as you have enough disk space available to each partition for the install and any VMs you wish to create.

To run Apple OSX within VM workstation you will need a licensed copy of Mac OSX. You will also not be able to run OSX with those hardware specs.

Lastly, you do not HAVE to install antivirus or any other software within your VM guest, but it is good practice to do so. Secure your guest OSes as you wouldif they were physical.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Dan

0 Kudos
Rayson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks so much for this.. It Really answered almost my entire questions but 2...

Yes I already have a password and I am registered... It is Required for you to register first before registering in the Forums.. I have a Trial email and Verification for 1 month granted to download VMware Workstation..

1stI tried to download it and Logout my account on Ie8(using Yahoo email where I have to activate my account then go to 30daytrial download). It stopped after 2 hours saying that I need to enter UN and pass.

2nd trial used Google Chrome I didnot log out of VMware while downloading and It again stopped after 2 hours..

3rd Trial I used an external link using Firefox searched on ask.com, sorry forgot the Site and tried to download the Trial Version, It again Directed me to this site, and after 1 hour, UN and password Required by DAP premium. and It says that I cannot Download the File." Incorrect UN and Pass Download will terminate"

and lastly If I have 2 windows and the 2nd Windows Doesnot have an Anti Virus system Installed on it.. then after 3 days a virus comes up on the Virtual Windows, what will happen? will my Core OS be affected by the Virus? will the Virtual OS be affected? I've tried to make some research and It says somewhere on the Forums that I can do snapshots... Like DeepFreeze right? So the Virtual WOnt get affected after Restarting the PC.. but what about the Main or Core OS... what will happen in that?

Thanks so much I nkw I have a lot of questions because I ama noob here but to tell you honestly I really appreciate you replying even after I posted this Isaw that I am in an incorrect Forum Page. And yes I will buy a new Pc if this is all sucesful I just bought this PC for $20US dollar from a friend 3 years ago.

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi - i'm not sure why you are having issues downloading workstation - perhaps you should try downloading from a different PC. Perhaps it is the speed of the internet connection that is causing the timing out.

Viruses can affect your guest OS in many ways. I wouldn't say 100% that a guest OS virus will NOT affect the hypervisor (you refer to virtual OS), but in this scenario you may well be able to use snapshots to roll-back to a previously known good snapshot, as long as the virus hasn't affected the previous snapshot of course. In normal terms, one guest CAN infct/affect another guest if they are able to communicate using TCP/IP as per servers in a physical environment - hence why you should protect them appropriately.

Regards,

Dan

Rayson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the eplies Tracy, ^^ Really a Great Help. I will Try now to download using a bittorrent maybe that will help because as per your key word advice "Timeouts" Torrents ignires Timeouts. I think that will help unless it asks me for a UNand pass again lol! But thank you^^

God Bless Thanks for helping out^^

0 Kudos