VMware Cloud Community
hansa01
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrade 7.0 U2 to 6.7

Hi

I upgraded 6.7 to 7.0 U2 (HPE ISO) but due to several major issues with management, VM's "disconnecting" and backups I would like to revert to 6.7. I know I cant do it the easy way but instead, maybe, install 6.7 from scratch. The installation is on a SD Card and the one host has local storage only. Is it as simple as installing 6.7 on the same (or new) SD card or is there anything else I should be aware of? The only thing I've done with the VMs is updating VM Tools

From KB 1033604:
"To use an earlier version of ESXi after upgrading to version 7.0 , you must create a backup of the boot device before the upgrade or reinstall the desired version."

Stupid question I guess, but this is regarding the SD card so as long as I reinstall this doesnt' apply?

BR

Hans Erik

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not aware of changes to the VMFS partion, and/or the VMs (unless VM virtual hardware had been upgraded) with ESXi 7.0, so it should work to reinstall ESXi 6.7 ensuring that you select the "Preserve VMFS" option in the installation. I'd probably use another clean/blank SD card for the installation.

André

0 Kudos
hansa01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André and thanks for you input!

I'll go ahead and do it this weekend

Hans Erik

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what hp server have you?

i was able to install 7.02 on a hp dl380g9 without problem, also vcenter 7.02 and all my virtual server/workstations works fine.

What are you problem?

You can install the vmware version and then look if all works and later install the hpe tools!

It is only my recommandation, but do backup before doing it!

0 Kudos
hansa01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for your inputs!

It is a Proliant DL380 gen9. We're running Veeam B&R ver 11 and seems like I made a blunder not updating it with the latest patch. So far I haven't noticed any of the earlier symptoms

Chose not to reinstall 6.7, hoping Veeam was the culprit

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hansa01
Contributor
Contributor

No more issues after patching Veeam B&R ver. 11

0 Kudos