VMware Cloud Community
travesty
Contributor
Contributor

Disk size for service console vmdk

I'm in the process of upgrading my hosts from ESX3.5 U4 to vSphere. I have a local VMFS volume that has 30GB free space and isn't being shared with anything. During the upgrade process I'm asked to select a VMFS and I will select this one but I'm also given the option choose how much space I want to allocate to the vmdk. I know it requires 8.6GB but should I choose higher for any reason? Is this vmdk going to grow in size? If the vmdk is going to stay at a constant 8.6GB then I might have to think about decreasing the size of my VMFS to give my host some more free space. Let me know your thoughts. I've attached a printscreen of what I'm referring to.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

yopu shoud not change ANY of the non-VM related extents or partitions, except TEMP and VAR. Everything else is default. The service console is a special purpose console, it's not really a VM per se, because you can't modify the settings (nor should you). So whatever ESX designates as the size for the SC, I would leave it be.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with RParker in the fact you shouldn't ever have a need to increase it beyond what the final size is.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
travesty
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so it seems I don't need to increase the service console size for any reason. So would it make sense that if the service console vmdk is going to stay at 8.6GB to resize my VMFS partition to say 10GB to create some free space on the host?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would leave the vmfs as is. The service console is just going to be a 8.6 GB vmdk inside of that VMFS and you can do whatever with the rest of the VMFS.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos