VMware Cloud Community
k845
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Space needed for upgrade

We are currently running ESX3.5 U4 and are upgrading to Vsphere 4. The current ESX host is installed on a 10 Gig HD. Will I be able to do an in place upgrade with update manger?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hope you have additional disk/LUN space for VMFS datastore. Upgrade is possibleif the host has required free space in /boot (50Mb) and VMFS datastore (8.4Gb, the volume where the COS vmdk will be located).

Please see vSphere Upgrade guide for further infomration - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_upgrade_guide.pdf.

:+: VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA.

0 Kudos
k845
Contributor
Contributor

Everything I have read indicated that the upgrade to 4 is a reinstall. When you use update manager it keeps the configuration files and removes and reinstalls. The problem I have is that if that is true then I have plenty room, if not then I don't. When I look at the LUN/Disk in VCenter it tells me that I have 2.75 gig capacity with 2.46 free. I have no problem adding a second 10 Gig lun/disk to for this if I need to I just don't like wasting space.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thats not the case, upgrade wont reinstall ESX 3.5, it will do a fresh installation of ESX 4.0 on COS vmdk and migrate the legacy configurations to the new installation. So the host will have legacy partitions itact, though the upgrade is completed. It will help you to roll-back to legacy version incase you are not satisfied with the performance of 4.0 or due to someother reasons.

In your case, to upgrade we've to allocate the required freespace in the mentioned partitions (/boot and VMFS datastore).

:+: VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA.

0 Kudos