VMware Cloud Community
roberto2lini
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Size Error & Failed Installation ESXi 6.5

Hi Guys,

So I have been experimenting with a fresh install of ESXi 6.5 on my server. I am getting a few weird errors. I have included some screenshots as well. The first error is the significantly larger than actual disk size. I am using a 32GB USB Flash Drive and it's showing a disk size of 5439486.00 TiB. Once I continue the installation, ignoring the disk size error my installation fails. I have tried two different USB Sticks, different USB Ports, different ISO Images (Fresh Downloads), different bootable USB makers (Windows, Mac) and to make sure it wasn't my hardware I tried the same with ESXi 6.0 and I had no issues.

Can someone tell me more about these errors? Or can someone even resolve them?

Thanks for your time!

Roberto

IMG_2302.PNGIMG_2303.PNG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
songtaoz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Roberto,

Thanks for the question.

This issue should be reason by the return of an invalid capacity size from the quirky USB device.

Please help to switch to the shell:

- run 'lsusb' to show the device's VID/PID for more information for me to double check

Thanks,

Songtao

0 Kudos
roberto2lini
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your time Songtao!

So after your comment I tried another USB and that isnt even showing up.... maybe I have a bunch of bad usbs...

USB that shows up but shows incorrect size.

image1.JPG

USB that shows up in the CLI but doesnt show up when scanning in the UI.

image1[1].JPG

0 Kudos
joshphp
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here with 3 different USB drives, all used in 5.5 and 6.0 deployments, even used diskpart to clean and wipe all partitions prior. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Andrew_M_CA
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this problem with a couple of completely different USB Sticks I've tried.

0 Kudos