VMware Cloud Community
steveza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Direct upgrade from esx 3.5 to esx 4.1

Hi

I've already upgraded from vCenter 2.5 to 4.1, now I'm trying to upgrade from esx 3.5 to esx 4.1, and all articles and videos I've read say I need to download the upgrade zip file and do the upgrade through VMware host update utility (as I'm only upgrading 2 hosts).

However, when I try to download the zip file, the only option I get is

ESX 4.1 Update 1 (upgrade ZIP from ESX 4.0)
Use  this package with vCenter Update Manager 4.1 U1 or with vihostupdate  vCLI or esxupdate command line to upgrade ESX from ESX 4.0 to ESX 4.1  Update 1.

Which only allows an upgrade from version 4.0 (or so it states).  Can I use this zip file?

I've even gone back through all the versions to 4.0, and there is no upgrade zip file for 3.5 anywhere?

How can I do this upgrade using the Host update Utility?

Regards

Steven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think some mistake in the above steps planned.

Are you using ESX and not ESXi, then you have to download ESX 4.1 install ISO for upgrade the host from ESX3.5 to ESX4.1

you have to use vCenter Update Manage or esxupgrade.sh for upgrade. No other tool like vihostupdate, host update utility etc are not supported.

For more details of vCenter update manager refer the its admin guide and for esxupgrade.sh refer http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1009440&sl...

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think some mistake in the above steps planned.

Are you using ESX and not ESXi, then you have to download ESX 4.1 install ISO for upgrade the host from ESX3.5 to ESX4.1

you have to use vCenter Update Manage or esxupgrade.sh for upgrade. No other tool like vihostupdate, host update utility etc are not supported.

For more details of vCenter update manager refer the its admin guide and for esxupgrade.sh refer http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1009440&sl...

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i would advise doing a fresh install on ESXi as ESX is no longer available for the next version.

0 Kudos
steveza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I will then use the update manager, just one question, the ISO for 4.1 says it can be used for upgrading from 3.5 update 5a, I'm only on 3.5 update 2, will it work, or do I have to upgrade to 5a first, if I try will it give an error, or will it mess up my current installation?

I don't want to go to ESXi just yet as I'd need to reconfigure all my networking etc, and by the time the new ESX is released I should have new hardware so I can just load that with ESXi

Regards

Steven

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I can suggest 2 options

Option 1:

1) Upgrade the host to ESX35U5a using the ZIP bundle available on the vmware site

2) Upgrade the vCenter server and update manger to 4.1 or 4.1 Update1 version

3) Upgrade the ESX host to 4.1

Option 2:

1) Upgrade the host to ESX4.1 base version, not ESX4.1 Update1. This is support upgrade path.

2) Upgrade the vCenter server and update manger to 4.1 or 4.1 Update1 version

3) Upgrade the ESX host to 4.1 Update1

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
steveza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK great, thanks for the help Nithin!

0 Kudos