VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Deleting the .vSphere-HA folder from a datastore

I need to unmount a datastore from a vSphere 5.5 infrastructore in order to delete it.

I deleted all the files from the datastore except the ".vSphere-HA" folder.

The datastore used to be used for hearthbeat but some days ago I removed it from the list.

The ".vSphere-HA" folder contains a folder whose name starts as "FDM-...." that contains a single file named "protectedlist" and modified six days ago (before removing the datastore from the heartbeat list).

Can I safely delete the ".vSphere-HA" folder and unmount the datastore or should I do anything before?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

".vSphere-HA" folder got created when you join esxi into into HA enabled Cluster.  HA then install an agent called FDM (in 5.x)which used to communicate with other host and maintain heartbeat in case of host failure.

You can delete that folder without any issue, and that will get created automatically afterword if any other Esxi get interect with that datastore. So no harm with deleting that folder.. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Bhards4

Srinivasu13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We can delete the folder as it will re-create again when ever need. Refer below link for details.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_28420284.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, Srini
0 Kudos
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Thank you for the pointer.

I am afraid, I can't access the site...

marius

0 Kudos
Srinivasu13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please refer below link.

http://www.vladan.fr/what-is-vmware-vsphere-ha-folder-for/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, Srini