VMware Cloud Community
breasoner
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore ISO can't browse after upgrade

I'm not sure what is going on, but we successfully upgraded from vi3.5 to vSphere4 over this past weekend.

Since then when I try to attache an ISO as a CD I can't see my shared DataStores, only the local datastores. I added a new shared Datastore and I can see it, but my ISO files are still on the previous datastore.

When I view the storage the only thing I see different is that the new datastore is formatted with VMFS 3.33 and the old ones are 3.21, but the local datastores are also 3.21 and they are visible.

Short of moving my ISO folder to the new shared storage san is there a way to make those older stores visible for browsing? I also notice if I look at Storageview the older VMFS volumes are al lumped into a folder caled datastore-upgrade with no indication of how to upgrade. I suppose I could vmotion all the files off to alternative storage reformat then move them back, but if there is a feasible in place upgrade option for those I would consider it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

so the issue here is, datastore is not visible after upgrade. Difference in VMFS minor versions wont create any problems.

If the datastore is in FC or iSCSI LUNs, can you try rescanning the vmhba?

Connect the ESX host directly through vSphere Client , not through VC. Go to Configuration -> storage adapters and do Rescan.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
breasoner
Contributor
Contributor

I think I figured ou the problem, but not how to fix it (short of vmotion, delete, recreate which is what I did). The folder datastore-upgrade was created with permissions that no one was a member of and I can't figure out how to change the role. Even though I'm administrator on everything in VC I kept getting errors that I didn't have permissions to change things in that folder. As I deleted the datastores and added them back the datastores came back in the cluster instead of a folder and they had full permissions like I would expect.

Anyway, there may have been a more appropriate way to resolve, but I did the delete recreate route which seems to have resolved the issue, but doesn't explain why it happened to begin with.

Bob

0 Kudos
breasoner
Contributor
Contributor

Also of note, the folder is still there and empty and I can't find a way to delete it as that option is grayed out.

Bob

0 Kudos
psreekanth75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi breasoner,

datastore-upgrade folder in VC inventory created by default by VC if we have upgraded VC to say that this inventory was old. You can drag and drop all the datastores to root and then delete "datastore-upgrade" folder

Come to problem not able to view the ISO folder located on 3.21 VMFS file system might be refresh issue. We couldn't able to reproduce the problem in our test environment.

Regards

Sreekanth

0 Kudos
breasoner
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the drag and drop kept getting an error about permissions and not having sufficient even though I am full administrator on the Datacenter and cluster. I can't even "Remove" the datastore-upgrade folder now that I have recreated all of the datastores. I'm assuming something squirelly is going on with the permissions on this folder, but as it isn't hurting anything I'm not going to worry about it any longer.

0 Kudos