VMware Cloud Community
sjef_roovers
Contributor
Contributor

DataStore blanc disk

Dear All,

I needed to migrate a vm from a esxi host  ( in order to upgrade the host ), error cannot relocate the vm migrate fails.

Powerd off the vm and migrated the vm to another host as the vm disappeared from the VC gui , I started to mount a iso 5.1 esxi to the host and upgraded this host.

Result was a corrupt datastore and a missing vm ...I think the vm was never really moved,..only 2 dump files where created no vmx or what so ever.

our SAN a HP eva shows no problems...lun is still presented to our hosts but they cannot see data on it.

How can VMWare corrupt my Datastore and vm, has this to do with the migration opf the host...

I want to know the cause , so in the future I can take a lesson out of this action.

thanks for all the reply.

jeff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
blazilla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Jeff,

can you explain step by step what you exactly did? Relocation of a VM shouldn't result in a data loss. I think the EVA isn't the problem. Did you disconnect the LUN before you started the upgrade? Did you select the right volume for the install? Normally the ESXi setup should ask you what to do with a installed ESXi (update and preserve VMFS, update and re-create VMFS, new install).

Regards,

Patrick

Best regards Patrick https://www.vcloudnine.de
0 Kudos
sjef_roovers
Contributor
Contributor

Patrick,

I thought I moved / migrated this vm from the host to another host.

then I mounted a .iso and installed esxi5.1 on my host.

This was the last of 6 hosts,..

My other 5 hosts also cannot see data on the LUN, when I look in EVA it seems everything is ok.

When I add the disk again to my hosts blanc disk...

what can be the cause..of the lost vm and blanc lun

during install of 5.1 I choose for sd to install esxi on.

luns stayed connected as they where connected the whole migration of the other hosts, no problem.

0 Kudos