VMware Cloud Community
NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating nested ESXi5.0 environment

Hi All,

I am trying to create a ESXi5.0 as a VM running on physical DELL Rack server with ESXi5.0 installed.

I am getting this error:

{{{

"Error: No nic found with MAC address<mac address>"

}}]

While creating the VM, I choose "automatic" option for mac address and only 1 NIC. I also choose OS as "VMware ESXi 5.x"

But when I am getting this error towards the end of the installation and installation is getting aborted after that.

There is already a similar ESXi5.0 VM is created on the same physical ESX host without any error. i.e

DELL_ESXi5.0

|---> ESXi5.0_VM1  ( running good )

|---> ESXi5.0_VM2  (error)

I tried cloning that also but it is also throwning error:

{{{

This operation is not supported with virtual disks in independent mode or raw disks mappings in physical compatibility mode

}}}

Any pointers.?

Thanks

Nikunj

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The link you posted is for previous versions of ESXi. To enable SSH for ESXi 5.0, login to the DCUI (direct console) and "Enable Remote Tech Support (SSH)" in "Troubleshooting Options".

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you chosen e1000 as the NIC type?

NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay,

I did the changes and I could create two ESX i5.0 instances as VMs togethar on my dell server.

I set the IP and hostnames properly on both. I have also enabled SSH on both.

But I am not able to root/adminsitrator login via ssh.

I followed the link here : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=8375637

But when I do ssh, only "login:" prompt comes. It does not ask for "password:"  and hangs there indefinitely.

Any ideas.?

Thanks

Nikunj

0 Kudos
NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any pointers .?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The link you posted is for previous versions of ESXi. To enable SSH for ESXi 5.0, login to the DCUI (direct console) and "Enable Remote Tech Support (SSH)" in "Troubleshooting Options".

André

0 Kudos