VMware Cloud Community
bstrignano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter Health Check fails after upgrade to 4.1

Hello All,

I just completed upgrading my vCenter server and all plugins to 4.1. Since the upgrade vCenter Service Status shows:

unable to retrieve health data from https://VCENTER.mirabito.com/converter/health.xml

If I open that page with IE I get:

IE does display a certificate error (Untrusted)

443 is open and I can open that URL local and remote, so the firewall should not be the culprit.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling converter. The same error appears if i open the client on my workstation or the client on the vcenter server.

If I actually try an import the converter client opens and seems to function, although i have not actually completed an import.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Brent

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
wkloss
Contributor
Contributor

No idea. But you're not allone Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ronczka
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn’t look like this is an upgrade issue; I’ve got the same thing after clean install.

0 Kudos
fdcpinto
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I install 4.1 from zero and migrated esx to esxi. Got the error.

Filipe D. C. Pinto

Filipe D. C. Pinto
0 Kudos
Guyver
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Start to wonder if is is not a feature Smiley Wink.

0 Kudos
ronczka
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the thing is that the service works fine, when you take a look at xml itself, the service status is green but vCentre is unable to read this file even if you are able to open it with IE.

0 Kudos
jackshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here, after upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 I get that same error. a few days after the upgrade, the entire vcenter goes offline, can't even login. opened a ticket with vmware, they said the DB was corrupted by 4.1 so I had to uninstall vcenter, delete the db (previous backup versions didn't work either.

After reinstalling vcenter 4.1 from scrach and creating a new database, the thing works for 6 hours then the same issue. called vmware back and they claim the db was corrupted by 4.1 yet again.

So yet another reinstall from scratch. So far this time vcenter has stayed working, but I still get that unable to retrieve health data error.

Have been on the phone with vmware tech support for a few hours now, and they can't figure it out.

The tech uninstalled everything related to converter, yet the status page still shows converter health data is red.

0 Kudos
casquinha
Contributor
Contributor

Having the issue here. Spent hours on the telephone with the VMware Tech support. He mentioned that this issue has been scalated to Development team. Hope they can fix it.

0 Kudos
saulg
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed fresh 2 brand new servers with Windows 2008 R2 Standard, one of them with brand new SQL2008 Enterprise 64 bit database.

Installed vCenter Server 4.1 on the stand alone server and I'm hitting the same problem converter plugin health check is in alert but when I hit the URL from IE I get a status of green.

I wonder if is a bug trying to read the URL from vcenter?

Has this been resolved?

Are U still experiencing the same issue?

Any workaround?

0 Kudos
bstrignano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not found a workaround.

So far I have tried:

Reinstalling converter and specifying the IP address of the server instead of the hostname.

Installing with different credentials.

Editing various configuration xml files at the behest of HP VMware support and hard coding ports and ip addresses.

Nothing has worked so far.

This is more of an annoyance really since converter still seems to work and is not a critical service in my environment.

But that being said, I would still like the green check mark.

Brent

0 Kudos
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same prob here after upgrade.

@jackshu: my vCenter went down shortly after upgrade, too. It was caused by too large transaction log. I went into db properties with SQL studio express and increased the log max size from 500 to 2000 MB and vCenter started again.

0 Kudos
XavierE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here after upgrade to 4.1 from 4.0 U2.

vCenter server is Windows 2008 R2 x64 Std Ed.

I can also browse manually to the URL and verify the status is green

0 Kudos
stuarta
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone made any progress on this or had a response from VM Support?

0 Kudos
DANCHUFT
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also getting this error after a clean install of ESXi 4.1 and vCenter 4.1...

Converter is working, it's just the Service Status that is annoyingly red.

Has anyone managed to fix the fault or had a reponse from VMware support?

0 Kudos
fdcpinto
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the final information from vmware support:

"

I've submitted this to the bug ticket(PR

514083).

4.1 is a brand new version of vSphere and not an update as the numbering

may lead you to believe.

Just for information unless there is a feature you want in 4.1, it's

always an option to use 4.0 U2 for a while which will continue to be

patched and updated separately to 4.1

"

Conclusion: let's go back to 4.0 U2 Smiley Happy

Filipe D. C. Pinto

Filipe D. C. Pinto
0 Kudos
DANCHUFT
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else had a more productive answer from VMware Support? 😕

0 Kudos
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor

I have just upgraded one site from 3.5 to ver 4.0 u2 I am now about to start on my second site and have downloaded version 4.1, has this been fixed I dont want to install 4.1 if there are any issues.

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
0 Kudos
XavierE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The error still shows here. It appears to be a cosmetic error as converter works but the health check can't validate the status although the XML output file shows a "green" status.

0 Kudos
jackshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've opened 3 tickets with VMware regarding this issue. the first two techs didn't know what was going on and gave up. 3rd tech escalated to tier 2, who then came back and said it was a sw bug. they have opened a "ticket" with the development team to work on this. It will be a patch at some point in the future according to the tier 2 tech.

It doesn't affect functionality, just a cosmetic thing, so they are not putting it at high priority. Knowing software development cycles, I wouldn't expect to see a patch released for this issue for at least 2 to 3 months.

0 Kudos
dbrownla
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here too.

0 Kudos