VMware Cloud Community
bstrignano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converter Health Check fails after upgrade to 4.1

Hello All,

I just completed upgrading my vCenter server and all plugins to 4.1. Since the upgrade vCenter Service Status shows:

unable to retrieve health data from https://VCENTER.mirabito.com/converter/health.xml

If I open that page with IE I get:

IE does display a certificate error (Untrusted)

443 is open and I can open that URL local and remote, so the firewall should not be the culprit.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling converter. The same error appears if i open the client on my workstation or the client on the vcenter server.

If I actually try an import the converter client opens and seems to function, although i have not actually completed an import.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Brent

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Atmos4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@leeroyrichardson: My upgrade path to 4.1 was bumpy as hell and still not all things working correctly, better wait for 4.1 U1 ...

0 Kudos
casquinha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Here is the answer that I was given from the VMware Engineer today!!!

Hello,

Symptoms

After installing or upgrading to vCenter Server 4.1, the com.vmware.converter item is "red"in the vCenter Service Status page and the following Message is displayed:

Unable to retrieve health data from https://<VC servername or IP address>/converter/health.xml Registering Converter with vCenter Server by short name, FQDN or IP address does not help to alleviate the problem.

Resolution

The cause of this issue is unknown at this time but Converter functionality does not appear to be impacted. So this message can be ignored for now.

As no further troubleshooting can be done on this issue, We would be closing this ticket for now.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

0 Kudos
bstrignano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received the same answer from HP VMware tech support.

0 Kudos
saulg
Contributor
Contributor

Understood, but did VMware commited to have a fix for this vCenter cosmetic issue by certain date/time frame?

Have anybody confirmed if VM converter actually works / or have anyone stumbled across any issue so far with Converter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jackshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been able to verify that converter works correctly in my envronment even though the health status does not display properly.

I could not get VMWare tier 2 support to give me a ETA on a fix, they just said to subscribe to release notifications and get an email notice when a fix is released. they do not consider it a high priority issue, so it is not on the top of their list of things to work on.

0 Kudos
sgmess1
Contributor
Contributor

There is now a KB article that referrers to this problem, it also has some workarounds to fix it.

I have successfully replaced the thumbprint entry of Converter in the ADAM LDAP database with the vCenter Server thumbprint following these instructions on 3 vCenter 4.1 servers and this has resolved the issue for me.

0 Kudos
fdcpinto
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am out of the office until September 1st. For any technical issues, you should contact norberto.mota@alert.pt.

Filipe D. C. Pinto
0 Kudos
saulg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm confirming this workaround worked as well. All services show green now!

0 Kudos