VMware Cloud Community
BrianMathis
Contributor
Contributor

Compatibility Enhanced Linked Mode (PSC 6.5/ vCenter 6.0)

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade to vSphere 6.5 U1 on a customer site.

Today I have installed 2 external Platform Services Controller (Load balanced) and 3 vCenter in Enhanced Linked Mode.

For compatibilty reasons I will have to leave 1 vCenter on 6.0 U3 because the hardware of the ESXi hosts are not on the HCL for ESXi 6.5 (HPE Proliant DL 380G7/BL460 G7).

Question:

1. Will vCenter 6.0 U3 and vCenter 6.5 U1 work together in Enhanced Linked Mode (PSC 6.5)?

2. Is this supported by VMware?

Thanks for your feedback.

3 Replies
chin2reddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would recommend upgrading all vCenters to 6.5 and leave the hosts on 6 until you get HCL compatible hardware. vCenter 6.5 can still manage ESXi hosts running 6.

0 Kudos
BrianMathis
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention that I can't update the vCenter because it hosts >70 ESXi 5.1 hosts which shall not be touched for at least another 2 years.

As vCenter 6.5 only supports hosts from ESXi 5.5 and newer I'm stuck with vCenter 6.0 for those hosts.

0 Kudos
chin2reddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got you. If you are going to not touch those hosts for another two years, its better to manage that vcenter separately instead of including that in the 6.5 (PSC + VC) because that may cause issues when you have to do future upgrades on 6.5 and most importantly there is no official document that says a mixed versions of vCenter can exist in a single PSC domain. Please check with VMware Support for more recommendations.