VMware Cloud Community
vincentertainme
Contributor
Contributor

Client Integration Plugin Installation Errors (Host files in use)

Hello,

I am setting up a homelab and am having difficulty installing the CIP on a Windows 10 Home desktop.

VMwareClientIntegrationPluginInstallError.PNG

After clearing this error, I'll get another error that the installer is corrupted. I've tried downloading another copy but still get same errors.

In other posts, I've seen suggestions to comment out the VMware entries in the host files. hosts.new is the only one with any VMware entries so far but I get permission errors when trying to edit. I've tried with a couple different administrator accounts and verified administrators have write permissions.

My overall experience with CIP overall has been really buggy on my laptop too. Is this a headache for most people?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vincentertainme
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

A friend suggested running the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 7. That didn't work.

I found I was able to comment out the VMware entries in the hosts.new file by moving it to Documents, editing it and moving it back.Still no change in results though.

I researched some knowledge base articles.

vSphere Web Client integration plugin installation fails with the error: Error - Installation package corrupted (2096175)

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2096175&s... 0 268744296

This is a known issue affecting vSphere Web Client. Currently, there is no resolution.

To work around the issue, run the VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.msi file from the %TEMP% folder.

To run the VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.msi file from the %TEMP% folder:

Open a web browser and enter the URL for the vSphere Web Client

Click the Download Client Integration Plug-in located at the bottom of the vSphere Web Client login page.

Run the VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.exe file.

You see the error: Installation package is corrupted

Leave this window open and navigate to %TEMP%.

Run the VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin-5.5.0.msi file to complete the installation.

After completing the installation close the error window seen on step 4.

When I do these steps I run into this roadblock which has another knowledge base article:

Installing the VMware Client Integration Plug-in 5.5 Update 3 and 6.0 Update 1 hangs on Installing certificates and starting service (2133846)

This issue is resolved in VMware vCenter Server 6.0 U1b, available at VMware Downloads.

To work around this issue if you do not want to upgrade, allow for up to 20 minutes, depending on your workstations processor power, for the installation of the Client Integration Plug-in to complete.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VC60U1B&productId=491&rPId=9952

Trying to download that gives me this error:

VMwareClientIntegrationPluginInstallError3.PNG

If I try download trial, I'm told my trial has already expired even though my existing vCenter server is already licensed.

Can anyone help me out? I'm striking out with each thing I try.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos