VMware Cloud Community
Kemoni
Contributor
Contributor

Clean install ESXi 7.0.3f - Web server intermittently unresponsive.

We have installed esxi 7.0.3f  (20036589) DellEMC Customized, on a Dell PowerEdge R640 (up to date BIOS, and NIC firmware).

However shortly after we noticed some weird logs in our network monitoring, specifically a SOAP Datastore sensor, which said that the soap response contained null values, yet 1 second later it got the values. When we investigated further, we found that the esxi host web interface, doesn't load properly, we get the blue background, but no login form. Randomly the webui will start working and let you login, sometimes with a warning banner that says "Could not retrieve task list. check host health" and if you are logged in to the webui when it starts failing, you will be logged out with a message next to the login form saying "Failed to load host summary"

The issue seems completly random, no pattern in the timing there can be up to 4 hours between it happening, down to 2 minutes, the server has no configuration other than the bare minimum for management access. the server is under 0 load, as it is not in production, so nothing is running on it other than esxi, no VM's. We have done a complete reinstall, and the issue persists.
No network changes took place in conjunction with the installation, we previously had a 6.7.0 build (15160138) build installed on the same server, on the dual SD cards boot media in the server. But we have disabled these SD cards, and did a "Install" on the new boot media.

I have no idea what to look for in the log or what to try. Any tips or help on where to look or what to try, would be greatly appreciated.

Attached a screenshot of the test HTTP sensor i made, to see what HTTP responses we get. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Your case is quite rare, the first thing that comes to my mind is to upgrade to the latest current level 7.0 U3K (Build 21290409).
The patch and update are cumulative so there is no problem if you install with a Hardwre vendor image and then apply VMware patches.
Attached is the link where you can get the patches
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/patch

e_espinel_0-1678292119881.png

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos