VMware Cloud Community
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

Changing VCenter ODBC to Remote SQL

I need to change the credentials in the ODBC on our VCenter server that connect to the Remote SQL server that houses our VCenter DB. Will changing this during business hours cause hiccups or any issues?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

No.

You can even shut down the vCenter, all guests will keep running. But of course, functions bound to VC will not be available.

In your case this will be only a small interrupt, so you won't face any issues.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

That was my understanding as well but wanted to make sure. After doing some further reading changing credentials doesnt seem to be as straight forward as I thought. Basically the user account that was used when installing VCenter is no longer used and will eventually be disabled. The problem we have is that the password for this account has been changed so VCenter seems to have cached the old password so it is constantly locking this account.

Also are there other services,etc. that get run under the account that is used to install/configure VC besides the ODBC connection to the VC SQL DB?

To clarify we arent changing the DB that VC is pointing to just the account that is used to autneticate to the DB and any other Vmware services that are using this account.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The DB connection passwort is hold by the ODBC connection. I found nothing else what needs to be changed. Have you checked if some services use that particular user?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

I did and didn't find any services running under this account. I created a service account and gave them DB_owner permissions on the VCenter and Update Manager databases on the SQL Server. I believe these permissions are needed during upgrades.

0 Kudos
Jason_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did the same thing you are trying to accomplish this past Thursday.

1. Stop the VMware VirtualCenter Server service.

2. Edit the ODBC connection.

3. If you are changing the DB username, edit the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DB\2" value to the new username.

4. In a command prompt, execute "VPXD.exe -p" in the "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server" directory (or whereever you installed it) and it will prompt for the new password.

5. Start the service back up.

0 Kudos
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a reason you didnt just go into the ODBC and enter in new credentials?

Great information, I was just getting ready to do this.

So I checked the 2 key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DB and it is empty. Is this expected?

0 Kudos
Jason_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In step 2, I did change the ODBC credentials but that didn't help. Starting the vCenter service kept failing. It seems that vCenter only uses the where to connect info from the ODBC not the credentials to connect.

See this KB article,

Edit: I am also using SQL authentication for my connection, so the registry may differ if you use Windows auth.

0 Kudos