VMware Cloud Community
wassim2404
Contributor
Contributor

Changing VCSA 6.7 FQDN & IP

Hello All,

I am deploying a new vCenter Appliance and adding hosts from an old environment.

1. After I add all the hosts, can I change VCSA FQDN and IP in one step from VAMI? Is restarting dnsmasq service needed to flush old dns on appliance?
  2. And if I am using default self signed certificates do I have to regenerate them again?
  3. Also some people said that I need to re-register all plugins ( VUM, ...) is it correct or I can keep all VMware plugins with no changes?
  4. Re-joining VCSA to AD is a must, but will the AD-Authentication sources be reset and have to configure users and groups again?

Appreciate your help in this!

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Changing Hostname/IP is only supported with 6.7u3 and later.  You should take a snapshot from the VCSA before you change it.  Why you have add the Hosts first and why not use the right Name and IP from beginning?

Now the change will create a new Cert and this can be challenging for all things that are already connected to the VCSA. But when have to change both (Hostname/IP) it will be also create some trouble.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
wassim2404
Contributor
Contributor

I have an old vCenter running with same name and IP, I am trying to deploy a new vCenter and moving old hosts to it, and then powering the old one off and changing FQDN and IP for new one. Thought of this just in case I needed to rollback to the old vCenter for any reason.

Would you recommend changing FQDN and IP of old vCenter and deploying the new one with final FQDN and IP?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

why would you to build a new one instead of upgrading it// Upgrade/migrate is better to go option

I would not ask you to change FQDN/IP now

0 Kudos