VMware Cloud Community
brunoguerrasous
Contributor
Contributor

Changing MTU in vmkernel needs reboot?

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my enviroment. Esxi 6.0 update 2.

8 hosts HP DL980, distributed switches, with one LACP each. One for virtual machines e one for communication with the storage.

Everything is working just fine, until we decided to configure jumbo frame.

We changed storage´s side MTU to 9000, VMware´s to 9000, and switch also to 9000. Yes, i know that switch´s side needs to be higher. We have already scheduled to change it.

My problem is, with my vmware´s MTU 9000, when I browse files in a datastore NFS, after a while, it gets inactive. And it won´t show its files. That´s because my MTU is 9000.

What I had to do is change VMware´s vmkernel MTU to 8000 something, around 8960, and bring all the vmnics from the LACP that communicates with the storage down, until the datastores lose connection, After this, I bring them up again, and the datastores become accessible. And it won´t lose connectivity anymore. I can browse files, and nothing happens.

If I don´t reboot the vmnics until I loose connectivity with the datastores, I think it won´t renew its configuration. And the connection stays 9000, even changing the MTU in the vmkernel.

Do you have any ideia if this is documented anywhere?

Sorry for my bad english.

Best Regards,

Bruno

0 Kudos
0 Replies