VMware Cloud Community
vm7user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot upgrade VCSA 6.0 to 6.5 - Internal error occurs during Export of vSphere ESX Agent Manager

Hello,

Cannot upgrade VCSA 6.0 to VCSA 6.5

always on stage 2 i get this error:

Error

Internal error occurs during Export of vSphere ESX Agent Manager.

Resolution

Send upgrade log files to VMware technical support team for further assistance.

i found article https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2147898, but this article applied only to vCenter Server 6.0 installed on Windows

49 Replies
SimonHuizenga1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 3 Release Notes

Upgrade Notes for This Release

For instructions about upgrading vCenter Server and ESX/ESXi hosts, see the vSphere Upgrade documentation.

Upgrading from vCenter Server 6.0 Update 3 to vCenter Server 6.5 is not supported.

Took me some time to but its not supported ;-(

when you use the original http(s)://vcenter/eam/index.jsp you also get the errors i have installed several versions of 6.0 appliances (tested 6.0u1, u2 and u3) when i deploy Windows vCenter it shows a normal page.

0 Kudos
kondrichRHI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, but this does not indicate an upgrade or migration problem: 6.0u3 has a problem with EAM web service itself and within itself. Hence, the upcoming 6.5u1 update (scheduled for Q2 2017) would not help, if 6.0u3 is defunct.

I discussed this issue with VMware support today: I want to know why 6.0u3 reports an error when calling https://vcenter/eam/index.jsp and 6.0u2a does not report an error but successfully returns "The vSphere ESX Agent Manager (vEAM) is successfully deployed." They will check that

0 Kudos
SimonHuizenga1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just deployed a fresh vCenter (6.0.0.20100) 6.0u2a and this server is also showing 500 error.

Added the charset.jsp to /usr/lib/vmware-eam/web/eam/ and also 500 error.

But a upgrade ran without any problems.

If you have the update please post it! I'm working on it for more than a week now....

0 Kudos
SimonHuizenga1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

now downloading vCenter Server 6.0 Update 3a | 21 MAR 2017......

just released

0 Kudos
glowery
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked great for me after experiencing the same problem! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
kondrichRHI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.0u3a was successfully installed at our site, but it does not fix the index.jsp or charset.jsp problem. Actually, it just fixes an Apache CVE.

It's strange that vCenter reports build 5183551 after installing u3a, whereas ISO downloads show build 5202527.

0 Kudos
SimonHuizenga1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes same here. upgraded and no changes. also attempted to upgrade to 6.5b no success.

when i remove EAM from mob i can update to 6.5 but i have some strange tabs in the new vCenter so i reverted.

0 Kudos
Bouda0175
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes same here. upgraded and no changes. also attempted to upgrade to 6.5b no success.

when i remove EAM from mob i can update to 6.5 but i have some strange tabs in the new vCenter so i reverted.

Could you please describe, what do you mean about strange tabs?

0 Kudos
SimonHuizenga1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter65b.png

the #{Common:..... ones.

0 Kudos
Bouda0175
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is realy strange, never see that. I performed several upgrade tests in my test lab with removed EAM a stop EAM services and everything works well. Now I am quite scare about upgrade on production. Do you use some external plugins in vCenter? Something like VDP, UpdateManager, VSM...

0 Kudos
cercompredes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vcsa 6.0U3 is compatible with upgrade to 6.5 [1] [2].

I rollback to the last snapshot of vcenter (6.0U2) and then I upgraded it to the 6.5. It solve to me.

0 Kudos
richsli78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.0u3 to 6.5 upgrade is not supported. see the release notes of U3.

0 Kudos
jgeorge04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just came here to say that I tried this with VCSA on 6.0 U3 and upgraded to 6.5b using this method.  Was really bummed when I started having issues and learned that the upgrade path is not supported but this comment got me running.  Thanks.

(Jnewton03's original post) ---

I was able to get this working yesterday with 6.5a.  I have not yet tried 6.5b.

Here is what I did:

To remove unwanted plug-ins from the available plug-in list:

1. In a web browser, navigate to http://vCenter_Server_name_or_IP/mob.

Where vCenter_Server_name_or_IP/mob is the name of your vCenter Server or its IP address.

2. Click Content.
  3. Click ExtensionManager.
  4. Select and copy the name of the plug-in you want to remove from the list of values under Properties. For a list of default plug-ins, see the Additional Information section of this article.
  5. Click UnregisterExtension. A new window appears.
  6. Paste the key of the plug-in and click Invoke Method. This removes the plug-in and results in void.  (I used com.vmware.vim.eam)
  7. Close the window.
  8. Refresh the Managed Object Type:ManagedObjectReference:ExtensionManager window to verify that the plug-in is removed successfully.

I then stopped the VMWare-EAM service on the source appliance by doing the following:

1.  SSH into the source appliance

2.  Go into shell

3.  issue a  service-control --stop vmware-eam

I then re-ran the upgrade and was successful.  Note that doing just one or the other of the above steps may have worked, but I have not tested it.

Charu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is true that you cannot upgrade from vSphere 6.0 U3 to vSphere 6.5.  A new KB article has been published which explains the support policy for vSphere upgrade paths.  Please comment on this article if you have any additional questions. 

TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so if my customer have vcsa 6.0u3 clean instalation and he need upgrade to 6.5 ? what now ? wait for u4 ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Bouda0175
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found some steps, which provides me smooth upgrade without fails on VCSA or Windows vCenter. I tried this procedure at 5 customers and all of them were without errors.

Procedure for VCSA:

1) Shutdown vCenter and make snapshot

2) Remove incompatible plugin (ESXi Agent Manager) from vCenter because vcenter 6.5 uses whole new version:

go to http://vcenter/mob then content -> ExtensionManager->FindExtension = com.vmware.vim.eam

3) If this extension exists, you nedd to unregister it:

UnregistreExtension = com.vmware.vim.eam

Invoke Method

4) Now you need to stop the service "vmware-eam"

5) Connect via SSH to vCenter, enter to shell a then write the command:

service-control --stop vmware-eam

6) Now you can run the upgrade manager wizard from VCSA ISO (eventually run migration-assistant if you use UpdateManager)

Procedure for Windows vCenter:

1) Shutdown vCenter and make snapshot

2) Remove incompatible plugin (ESXi Agent Manager) from vCenter because vcenter 6.5 uses whole new version:

go to http://vcenter/mob then content -> ExtensionManager->FindExtension = com.vmware.vim.eam

3) If this extension exists, you nedd to unregister it:

UnregistreExtension = com.vmware.vim.eam

Invoke Method

4) Go to Windows services and stop service called "VMware ESX Agent Manager"

5) Now you can run the upgrade manager wizard from ISO

Those procedures worked for me and my customers without any issues.

Charu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would suggest looking at the Upgrade Path tab of the Compatibility Matrix and selecting vCenter Server.  You can see the how the support policy documented in the vSphere Upgrade Policy KB has been implemented for previous releases, and infer what can be expected for vSphere 6.5.

TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

tested in my LAB. Upgrading VCSA 6.0u3 to 6.5 and it works:

How to upgrade VCSA 6.0 update 3 to VCSA 6.5 - tomaskalabis.com

Bouda0175
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

tested in my LAB. Upgrading VCSA 6.0u3 to 6.5 and it works: 

How to upgrade VCSA 6.0 update 3 to VCSA 6.5 - tomaskalabis.com

This is the same procedure as I described one post before. Confirm, that procedure works Smiley Happy

harry446
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Tom, the upgrade procedure works - I successfully upgraded it from v6u3 to b6.5b. 

Thank you so much~~

0 Kudos