VMware Cloud Community
VirtualSingh
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot run 64 bit VM in the ESXi 4.1 host server....any thoughts???

Lab Setup

• Physical machine running windows 7 with VM workstation 7.
  • Installed ESXi 4.1.0 host server successfully.
  • Windows 2008 64Bit VM server ( When I start this VM I get ERROR-1)

ERROR -1

“Running Vmware ESX in a virtual machine requies the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You cannot power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured”

Steps Taken:

After added following parameters in the ESX configuration file, the ERROR-1 goes away.

deploymentPlatform = "vmkernel"

monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

BUT after turning ON the windows 2008 VM,  it reaches 95% and I get ERROR-2.

ERROR-2

Message from esx: This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host does not support VT. For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152. Continue without 64-bit support

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TKay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

check your Bios options.

Go to Advanced Options -> Processor Options -> Intel ® Virtualization Technology. Choose Enable
To enable VMware EVC, enable 'No-Execute Memory Protection' (just above Intel-VT).

best regards

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can't run 64bit operating systems in a nested virtual environment. ESX(i) installed as a virtual machine can not host 64 bit guests. The hardware virtualization feature is not passed through to the ESX(i) guest.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bugrelious
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you enable VT and any Virtual Support options for 64 bit emulation within your BIOS of your machine. Does it work with any other 64 b it os? Win XP 64 or Win 7 64?

0 Kudos
bugrelious
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I didn't read this post earlier, but yes, If you are running ESXi in Workstation, it may not pass the hardware functionality that you need. DSTAvert hit it on the head.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you are installing the Windows 64 bit machine for vCenter just run it directly as a Workstation guest.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
VirtualSingh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks David,

This was exactly my next question, perhaps requirement and you picked before I asked Smiley Happy... You are the best.

With regards.............points on your way Smiley Wink

Gary Singh

0 Kudos