VMware Cloud Community
BobD01
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install ESXi 5.5 on HP Proliant!

I've downloaded the HP ESXi 5.5 image and tried to install on my HP Proliant DL380p Gen8.  The install fails with "No network adapters have been detected" error.  I have checked and the net_tg3 driver is in the ISO etc.

The NICs are BCM5719 (AKA HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331FLR Adapter) which I have double-checked are fully compatible.

This server currently has ESXi 5.1 installed which I can rollback to (using the SHIFT-R option on boot - that's a first for me!)

Anyone come across this yet with 5.5?

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

check this ..hope it will help you to shot out this issue..

VMware vSphere with Operations Management

Yours, Phillips

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you installed the normal ESXi or the Custom ISO? If its a normal one try Custom ISO that's made for HP and see if you are facing the same issue.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

BobD01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I am installing the HP version.  I noticed that the version changed the other day without any notification, it was HP-5.70.38-Sep2013, it's now 5-71.3-Sep2013.  I've tried both and they both fail.

I will try the vmware version and then add the HP bundles but I don't hold out too much hope!

The 5.5 upgrade has been a nightmare!  vCenter fails to start after a server reboot (more and more people getting this issue now), vmware confirmed it was an issue there is a workaround we found on these forums.

Pretty poor TBH

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

ESXi doesn't allow to install if it couldn't find at least one supported network card, so I don't think default VMware ISO works if it doesn't have HPBCM5719  driver.

Either add one additional network controller that driver is by default in ISO (like intel e1000) or add the driver into VMware default ISO by following customize image procedure Using the vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

--Nithin
0 Kudos
Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

BobD01,

I have run into it as well.  It's a HP driver issue.  Make sure you have the latest custom HP ISO as suggested above then if it continues to fail open a case with VMware and HP (I say both because vmware will check HCL which does say it's supported then make you open a case with HP they can reference)  In my case it was the emulex cards we used.  HP has had real issues with emulex since G7 servers it's been so bad that both VMware and HP and emulex employee's who work directly at their offices to help solve the issue.  We ended up replacing the emulex cards with broadcom but if your using iscsi it's not an option.  Good luck but if you used the HP ISO you have done everything right and it's up to the vendors to duke it out.

Thanks,

J

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
MKJE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with IBM Blades using Emulex Nics.

After I upgraded the Firmware on the Emulex I got my nics back.

Regards

Mikael

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you checked HCL?

Take care!

0 Kudos