VMware Cloud Community
bikeonroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot install ESXi 4.1 but can install ESXi 3.5

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600,

I've been trying to install ESXi 4.1 but it just wont work. It gets to the stage of showing the dots and the machine keep on restarting and it goes into a loop.

I managed to install ESXi 3.5 as I thought the machine will only support 32bit.

There are some features which I require on the 4.1 which are not included on the 3.5 i.e. boot from .iso and also that the 3.5 I find is no stable (console dose not show anything).

As I'm already running 3.5 I tried to do a upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1 but failed.

Would really appreciated any help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernieK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I too have a Dell Poweredge 2600 which I bought second-hand about 4 years ago. The Intel Xeons in that are only 32 bit so they won't support vSphere.

HTH,

Bernie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should always confirm on the HCL if your device(s) is/are compatible.  However, you can check the whitebox list as well, http://www.vm-help.com//esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

HCL is your first port of call.

After that, it is also worth doing a Checksum on your ISO - it is possible that the ISO is corrupt.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HCL says it all.

bikeonroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DCJay,

Your attachment shows that only ESXi 3.5 is support, is this correct?

0 Kudos
BernieK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I too have a Dell Poweredge 2600 which I bought second-hand about 4 years ago. The Intel Xeons in that are only 32 bit so they won't support vSphere.

HTH,

Bernie

0 Kudos
bikeonroad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BernieK,

Which verson of ESXi are you running?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BernieK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I'm running ESX 3.5 update 3 on it (I think).

I haven't actually used that system since I discovered it wasn't suitable for 64-bit systems. (When I bought it I assumed all Intel Xeons were 64-bit!) .

My test environment now is a Windows XP 64-bit host and an Windows 7 64 bit host (laptop) running VMware W/S 7.1 running various combinations of ESX or ESXi 4.0 or 4.1, vCenter etc.

I'd guess that your Poweredge also only has 32 bit Xeons.

Bernie

0 Kudos
barkey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am sure you already know that ESXi 4 is a server class OS made for 64 bit systems but;

As an alternate option it is possible to load a 32 bit Windows OS host onto your server and run ESXi 4 as a nested VM. You can use VMWare workstation 7.1 32 bit as the outer VM.

I have done this in our lab successfully with an AMD chipset, currently I think the only way to make this work is with the Phenom II or AMD 64 chip.

Intel chips are more widely supported.

Checkout this link. http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

- www.uisystems.us

support.sales@uisystems.us

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would still need a 64bit processor and a VT capable motherboard.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
barkey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The configuration is based on hardware that can process at 64 bit, usually the mobo has to fit the chip. We purchased PHENOM II x4 965 Black Edition chip for half the price of the i7. Our cores came overclocked out of the box @ 3.8. Not one problem with VSphere on 32bit Windows 7.

www.uisystems.us

0 Kudos