VMware Cloud Community
pulakonline
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot boot when trying to install ESX1 5.1

Hi All,

I had successfully installed ESXi 5.1 (evaluation version) on a Dell Poweredge 620 server.  After a 60 days period, the evaluation license expired. I added some more harddisks to the same server, RAID 5 configured it and decided to again do a fresh install of vmware ESXi 5.1.

I burned the iso on to a cd rom and tried to boot from it. No matter how many times I ensure the boot sequence etc. it just would not boot from the cd. Following is the error message received.

"Boot Failed. No boot device available. Please ensure compatible bootable media is available."

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Pulak

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you tried with another disk?  Ensure your drive s working.

Try booting with any other image ...

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't mind me asking this, but how did you burn the .iso image on the CDROM? Did you burn the .iso file itself or did you select "Burn Image" from the burning application? I.e. which files do you see on the CDROM?

André

pulakonline
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.. I do not see the iso on the cdrom. I can see all the installation files in the cd and not the iso.  I have not burned the iso file directly.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd suggest you try to boot from the CD on another system to find out whether it is an issue with the CD or not.

André

pulakonline
Contributor
Contributor

I created another bootable cd and tried to boot from it but still the same result.

Now when i am trying to install Windows server 2008 R2 on the same server, i can see NO drives i.e., in the load drives screen while installing i can see no drives/partitions.

I need to get this VMWare install asap. Please excuse because I am a newbie.

Thanks a lot!!!

0 Kudos
pulakonline
Contributor
Contributor

I have another Dell poweredge 620 server. On that machine also I had installed VMWare ESXi but it expired after 60 days. Now when i am trying to do a fresh install from the VERY same cd rom....I get the same error. I guess VMWare once expired does not allow another fresh install of VMWare to proceed. Or maybe it has got something to do with the way I configured the RAID controller.

Currently i cannot see any hard drives when i try to install Windows server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If the system doesn't even boot from the CD, it has nothing to do with anything already installed. Since it is the same on both systems, I'd suggest you either burn another CD (or try the CD on a simple PC/Notebook) and/or double check the host's RAID/BIOS/Boot settings. Btw. there's nothing that will prevent you from re-installing ESXi.

André

0 Kudos
pulakonline
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre

I had changed configured the RAID right before booting from CD. And i did it without the complete knowledge about RAID 5. So I suspect it has something to do with RAID configuration.

Would you know specifically what should I look for in the RAID configuration that may be the problem? What might have gone wrong wrong while re-configuring RAID 5 after adding hard drives to the server?

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say without sitting in front of the system. Unless you have production data on the disks, deleting the configuration and re-doing it from scratch might help. Anyway, I don't think this will solve the boot issue. I rather think (unless it's an issue with the CDROM itself) it could be related to a BIOS setting where you define the boot controllers, i.e. the CDROM is likely not connected to the RAID controller, but another e.g. on-board controller.

André

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Try these steps:

1) This CD on another PC

2) If OK, then this CD on main PC with another Drive

3) Finally, Burn New CD using old ISO or fresh downloaded ISO.

Hope will help.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos