VMware Cloud Community
SahanVMTN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can we add existing 5.5 ESXi hosts to a new 6.5 vCenter server appliance ?

Hi all,

Recently we upgraded our 5.5 vCenter to 6.5 vCenter and the installation got failed. The appliance was deployed successfully. vCenter server appliance looks healthy and all its content seems fine. But, we are unable to login to the vCenter from any browser. We have tried rebooting the VCSA and restart its core services by SSH. But the issue persists.

We had a three ESXi hosts cluster with a SAN attached to it. We powered off the vCenter 5.5 server VM and took a snapshot backup of it prior to the 6.5 upgrade.

Now, we only have three ESXi hosts and VMs running on them without a vCenter management.

Below are the doubts we have:

Can we power on the 5.5 vCenter server appliance and revert it back to the snapshot which we took prior to the 6.5 upgrade? if so, would it take the IP address back, which was exported to the new 6.5 appliance during the migration process? 

If not, can we do a fresh installation of 6.5 vCenter server appliance and attach the ESXI hosts to it ? If so, are there any dependencies (vCenter settings, Network settings, ESXi hosts Licensing, vCenter Licensing) we need to be aware of ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes you can revert to the snapshot. If the vpxd doesnt come up he havent upgrade the vpxa and fdm on the hosts.  So i cant see a problem there as long your SSO/PSC was from typ embedded.

Yes you can setup a new fresh 6.5u2x vCenter and adding your Host to it

- Dont to it if you have VDI, NSX,VSAN or similar on top of vCenter in the past

- Check if there is a minumum 5.5 version for the Hosts

- You have to repoint your Backup solution. The backup will see most likely new VM identities and will start with new checkpoints

- After adding all Hosts i suggest to place one in MM and remove them from vCenter and than add it again. Do it for the others all so

I have do this for a lot of Essentials Plus customer where they have an old windows based vCenter and we install VCSA from Scratch rather than updating.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes you can revert to the snapshot. If the vpxd doesnt come up he havent upgrade the vpxa and fdm on the hosts.  So i cant see a problem there as long your SSO/PSC was from typ embedded.

Yes you can setup a new fresh 6.5u2x vCenter and adding your Host to it

- Dont to it if you have VDI, NSX,VSAN or similar on top of vCenter in the past

- Check if there is a minumum 5.5 version for the Hosts

- You have to repoint your Backup solution. The backup will see most likely new VM identities and will start with new checkpoints

- After adding all Hosts i suggest to place one in MM and remove them from vCenter and than add it again. Do it for the others all so

I have do this for a lot of Essentials Plus customer where they have an old windows based vCenter and we install VCSA from Scratch rather than updating.

Regards,

Joerg

SahanVMTN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

Thank you for your prompt response on this. I have got your points. Will give a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot !

Regards,

Sahan

0 Kudos
SahanVMTN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The upgrade was successful ! Below is the DNS issue which we came across during the upgrade validation process. We had to make sure the DNS records have configured correctly. Although, VMware would let you proceed with skipping this warning. But, you will face troubles when accessing the vSphere web client landing page. 

7.JPG

Thanks Joerg!

0 Kudos