VMware Cloud Community
lasinl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can vSphere utilize all of 8 core CPU & 64 GB RAM?

Can VMware vSphere v5.0 Essentials Kit utilitize all of a 8 core CPU (i.e., AMD FX-8350) and 64 GB RAM? If not, what would it cap out at with the CPU and/or RAM? If so, does vSphere see the 8 core CPU as 16 core with hyperthreading (or whatever AMD's equivalent is called)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hi, this document should answer most, if not all, of your questions: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

No Limits on Physical Resources

VMware vSphere 5 licensing removes all restrictions on physical cores and physical RAM. This change eliminates barriers to deploying VMware vSphere on new multicore server configurations, improving customers’ ability to choose server hardware that best meets their requirements.

The Essentials Kits are all-in-one solutions for small environments (up to three hosts with two CPUs each) available in two editions— Essentials and Essentials Plus. Both editions include VMware vSphere processor licenses and VMware vCenter Server for Essentials for an environment of up to three hosts (up to 2 CPUs each). Essentials scalability limits are product- enforced and cannot be extended other than by upgrading the whole kit to a higher-end bundle (see upgrades sections, below). VMware vSphere Essentials and Essentials Plus kits are self-contained solutions and may not be decoupled, or combined with other VMware vSphere editions.

Message was edited by: spravtek - fixed link

0 Kudos
lasinl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know what their documentation says, but I'm looking for real world experience. Does vSphere do something different or weird and actually cap at 48 GB or 53 GB? Does other functions and features become disabled or hindered due to when running on X amount of memory? Etc. Etc.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ESXi utilizes all memory and processor resources. It certainly requires a few resources for itself to run and manage the VMs, but it does not cap anything.

André

0 Kudos