VMware Cloud Community
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

Can't upgrade ESXi 4 from 3.5 - Failed to parse precheck result XML:

Hi.

Sorry for my cross post (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1290532#1290532) I don't know how to delete the missplaced post

I'm trying to upgrade to ESXi 4.0 from 3.5, fully patched but I got

this error message all the time: "Failed to parse precheck result

XML:", see attached screen shot.

I have restared both the host server and the client computer after installing the vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0

Is there any debug option to find out more about the error message? Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Regards rancor

0 Kudos
13 Replies
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you try retrying the upgrade.

0 Kudos
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, several times. I have also restarted both the ESXi server and the client computer between the tests.

// rancor

0 Kudos
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

did you try to re-download package? It look like it is corrupted

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
esxtek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to get the vSphere Host Update Utility logs. Should be under "C:\Documents and Settings\<logged in User>\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VIU\logs"

Also if you could close the Host Update Utility application and starting it again and then retrying the upgrade. Let me know if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I have restarted the app several times with the same errors. I think it's something with the xml engine on the server. I'm running a Swedish version of Windows Server 2003... maybe something with the locale..

I attached the log with a LOT of errors in it.

Thanks!

// rancor

0 Kudos
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

Penic Albin: Yes, I have downloaded and reinstalled the client and the package. The package is validated okey during the inital steps before I confirms the EULA so I don't thinks it's the problem

// rancor

0 Kudos
cape2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I had the exact same error.

I found that the error only occurred on Swedish based platformed (Swedish XP and 2003 are the only ones I've tested).

So the soulution for me was to run everything on a English based system.

0 Kudos
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

Tack!

Thanks!

I will try from another platform (It's sad that we have several Swedish servers, we should have learned that english companys still can't code non locale independent code).

Regards rancor

0 Kudos
rancor
Contributor
Contributor

By the way. How do I report this as a bug? There is no way of contact the support If I don't pay for it but I would like to report it.

// rancor

0 Kudos
PolloGavilanez
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I change the OS to the version in English, as well as the regional configuration, then install the Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and after Vmware vSphere Client and Host Update. I tried many ways and this was the solution.

0 Kudos
AndersAl
Contributor
Contributor

I also had these problems when trying to run VIC with update-manager or Host-update-utility on our vCenter server which is running on a Windows 2003 32-bit english platform with swedish locale.

The sollution was to install a new Win2003, english server with default (en_US) locale settings, patched with the latest Microsoft patches and not attach it to our active directory

On this machine the Host Update utility worked and I could upgrade the hosts to vSphere (from version 3.5). Tests with update-manager from within VIC also worked on this machine, doing host patching.

However as a bonus, after being able to run update-manager from this "100% en_US workaround server", the update manager started to work on our vCenter server and I can now remediate patches on my hosts from our normal AD-attached servers running Swedish locale via Update-Manager.

My best guess is that something was initialized correctly the first time I ran Update-Manager from the workaround server.

I was in contact with vmWare support and this is a registered case now. The case is however closed with the above mentioned sollution as a "workaround". I was surprised to realise that I was the first one to report this as a problem to vmWare support as this thread is quite old now..

0 Kudos
Paco_Monserrat
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Is there any solution to this XML parsing error without needing to reboot the machine to en_US locale ? , I'd tried also from the command line but another XML error happens (path in Spanish 😞

C:\Archivos de programa\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server

IP_ADDRESS_of_server --install --bundle "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Mis

documentos\Descargas\update.zip"

Enter username: XXXX

Enter password: YYYY

unpacking C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Mis documentos\Descargas\updat

e.zip ...

Unable to parse \metadata.xml at C:\Archivos de programa\VMware\VMware VI Remote

CLI\bin\vihostupdate.pl line 261

main::get_bundle_info('\metadata.xml') called at C:\Archivos de programa

\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin\vihostupdate.pl line 213

main::install_update('HostSystem=HASH(0x43df660)', '\metadata.xml') call

ed at C:\Archivos de programa\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin\vihostupdate.pl li

ne 113

It seems that the problem is with the file metadata.xml that it is included in the zip file .

0 Kudos
jmmmmm
Contributor
Contributor

Im having the exact same problem going from 4.0 to 4.1. Were there any fixes to this problem?

0 Kudos