VMware Cloud Community
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Can't move to a different datastore...

In figuring out why I wasn't seeing all of my datastore space in my last post, I had gone and created a second (local) datastore and moved my two VMs and one template to it.  After my questions were answered, I realized that I should have split that second datastore (datastore2) into smaller datastores; so I decided to move the VMs and template back to the original (local) datastore and reconfigure datastore2.  vCenter is not letting me do it.

When I try to  migrate either of my VMs, I get a popup window labeled "Relocate virtual machine".  It has a an error "Unable to access file [datastore1]".  The error stack says "/vmfs/volumes/4db03162-5f1c0924-07e9-e41f13b56098 could not be created".

relocate.gif

I am not pointing at any ISOs that might be preventing the transfer.  It sounds like it is a permission error.  I had no problem moving from my datastore1 to my new datastore2.  I don't understand why I can't move back.  I browsed both datastores.  I see folders for my machines and templates on datastore2 and nothing in datastore1.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks--

Al

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the local disk not shared for all hosts, you need powered OFF virtual machine to migrate to a new datastore.

If your disk are shared, you can migrate online (With vm powered Off). Try power off virtual machine and migrate.

post result here.

good luck         

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried it with the VM powered on and with it powered off.  Either way, I get the same error.

--Al

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check if there a .lck in folder of this virtual machine.

lck = locked

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/10051

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

I have browsed through both datastores.  There is nothing at all in datastore1.  Datastore2, which currently has my VMs and template, has no .lck files.  I only have one host up and running now, and these are the only two datastores; so there is nowhere else for a .lck file...

--Al

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you able to access the datastore using the datastore browser (e.g. create a new folder)?

Do you have the chance to reboot the host?

André

0 Kudos
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

I hadn't thought of those things.  I just tried creating a folder, and I got this error:

Call "FileManager.MakeDirectory" for object "FileManager" on vCenter Server "VHAESTDEV5.vha.med.va.gov" failed.

I will try rebooting and report back.

Thanks--

Al

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Another thing worth checking would be an ls -lisa in /vmfs/volumes, if you have access to the console (or ssh).

André

0 Kudos
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have to wait for somebody to physically turn the server back on.  The reboot seems to have only done a shutdown... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

do let us know once it's up and running, keen to get it solve for you 😃

0 Kudos
algaspar
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it seems that the problem was that the first datastore was fubar.  Since this was only a temporary configuration until our SAN comes in, I had made it RAID 0 and it lost a drive...  Anyway, the RAID for datastore2, which held my VMs, was still good; so I reconfigured the other array as two RAID 1s and reinstalled ESXi.  After it came up, it could see three datastores including the old one with my VMs.  I browsed that datastore, and was able to add those two VMs to inventory.

This was a very good thing! Smiley Happy Now, though, I can't reach them except through the vSphere console when I attach to the host.  When I log into them through the console, I can ping out to the rest of my network, but from the outside, I can't ping those virtual machines let alone log into them.  I can ping the host server just fine, and (of course) log into it with vSphere.  When I do an ipconfig /all in the VM console, it shows the ethernet adapter properly configured.

Any thoughts as to what I haven't done?

Thanks--

Al

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you recreated things including networking make sure that the VMs are connected to the correct portgroup name. Edit setting for each VM and verify they are connected to the correct name. Check the connected state as well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos