VMware Cloud Community
MichealBlack
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install vCenter client 4.1 U3

While our main datacenter is moving to vCloud Director, we have a test system used to work on scripting. I just updated the vCenter server from vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 U3A. When I try to access it from my laptop using the installed 4.0 client, I get a popup saying that I need to upgrade the client. I clicked OK and it downloaded and extracted the client to the local temp directory. It then started to install and popped an error that it could not create a log file in the default directory. There is nothing in the Windows event logs and the program was able to extract the installation files to the temp directory. The temp directory is set to Everyone has full control. Does anyone know what directory it is looking for?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So when it asks do you save the installer or run it? Can you try saving it

in another location and try once again?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
MichealBlack
Contributor
Contributor

If I try to save it anywhere I get a message that says "Illegal characters in path". Even saving to Desktop or c:\. I took a look at the path and do not see anything out of order.

MichealBlack
Contributor
Contributor

I got it working. I WAS able to save the install to a mapped network drive on a VM in my vCenter and run it over the WAN. It installed fine. I also seem to have to do the same thing to get Sysinternals Process Explorer to run. Neither will run from my laptop.

0 Kudos