VMware Cloud Community
kurtdibble
Contributor
Contributor

Can't browse ESX servers

Hello,

I did my first install of vSphere on a HP blade (ESX 4.1). The install seemed to go fine. I went to another blade and installed vCenter. I then tried to browse to the blade with ESX and I could not see it. I can not browse to it, I can not ping it. I can ping the HP enclosure ip address for the blade I set up so the server is still connecting. When I log into the ESX blade I see the splash screen and can log into the Linux interface.

I ran IFConfig and could see the NIC I have connected to my switch had no IP address. Using IFConfig, I gave it the same address I assigned the blade during the ESX setup, but I still can not browse to the blade. It looks like ESX wants to use the enclousure nic and not the external nic I have hooked up to my switch.

Additionally as I stated I had added an IP address for my favored nic and I changed the IP address of the internal nic. I notice that if I reboot the box those settings are erased and ESX reverts to the default.

1. How can I set a primary nic ( or the one ESX will use to communicate)?

2. How do I make my changes permanent?

Thanks for any help

KD

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kurtdibble
Contributor
Contributor

Solved with a reinstall and picked the correct interface card during the network setup section.

0 Kudos