VMware Cloud Community
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't boot new server w/ESX 4

I just installed a new IBM x3550 M2 with a 5530 CPU. I Downloaded the DVD .ISO and burned an image. The server won't boot from that DVD. It will boot an ESXi 3.5U4 CD no problem.

What can it be?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

more than likely you have bad media.

Do you have a means to do a remote install by just mounting the .iso? I don't know what IBM's version of iLO is, but that is what I am referring to.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 2 different copy. Neither wil boot. Not dure about a remote install.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have another device you can insert the media into? Just to ensure it's bootable, or not bad

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just tried on my desktop. I can boot fine.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just tried it on my desktop and the media boots OK

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

You should run an MD5 checker against the ISO file to insure the download came down intact. I use MD5Deep which you can freely download from the Internet. The MD5 results you should receive from running MD5deep against your ISO download are listed on the VMware download page. If the results aren't a perfect match then your download didn't come down correctly and you need to re-download. Note that I haven't yet had a download come down correctly using the standard download method but when using the VMware Download Manager all the downloads I'd done have come down correctly and the MD5 results match.

Datto

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

ok, next thing to check is to ensure the BIOS is set to have CD the first boot device.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I interupt the boot process and select CD/DVD. Same process that allowed me to boot ESX 3.5i. And yes, It is a DVD drive.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I guess if you have confirmed the media is good, the .iso is good, the next steps would be to see if you can get a remote console connection and must mount the .iso file via virtual media and see if it works.

Are there any specific errors?

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No errors. DVD drive flases and then the ugly IBM insert diskette graphic comes up Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

If you're booting off a SATA DVD drive, you might go into the BIOS and try changing the SATA DVD drive to emulate an IDE drive if that choice is available.

Datto

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SATA devices set to IDE compatibility mode.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is getting weirder.

Support says to check the STAT/SAS controller type. It's one of the approved ones. The server is on the HCL.

I can boot and install the ESXi4 CD no problem. It seems an issue only if the media is a DVD. No other computers have an issue with booting that DVD. Unfortunately, I don't have another bootable DVD OS to test.

How much do I forgo if I leave my hosts to be ESXi4?

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It appears that you have to select 'legacy only' in the server's boot manager in order to boot from a DVD. CDs work fine in all cases.

0 Kudos
tjgraves
Contributor
Contributor

Set your Boot order in the System UEFI to Legacy Mode. ESX doesn't take advantage of UEFI features at this time.

Also make sure the DVD drive is in the boot order,

0 Kudos
tjgraves
Contributor
Contributor

Two things that you must do.

This  IBM Server is a  UEFI systems.

1 - set the UEFI primary boot device to "Legacy Mode Only" then  "CD ROM" .

ESX is not UEFI aware.

2- second possible issue, check the model of your Raid Controller. Make sure it is supported for the version of ESX or ESXi you are installing.  There may not be a driver in the VMware code.

0 Kudos