VMware Cloud Community
jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't/Won't Upgrade from 3.x to vSphere 4

Just had a meeting with our VMware rep and his engineer, focussing mainly on SRM implementation and, also on our licensing/eligibility for vSphere 4 upgrades. Long story short, we have decided not to upgrade to vSphere 4 when it comes out within the next month or so, for 2 main reasons:

1. vSphere 4 does not support SRM. This is a must for us, given my mandate from management to get SRM up and running this Spring/Summer. Apparently, in their haste to get 4.0 out the door, VMware is leaving SRM for the 3.x implementations out there, until around the end of 2009/early 2010.

2. The new Fault Tolerance feature only supports VMs with a single vcpu for the initial release. Most of our 'critical' VMs that we would protect in this manner were determined to require 2 vcpu's, so this feature is less compelling until it supports 2 or more vcpu's. This will no doubt happen in a future release of 4.x.

Other than that, 4.0's feature set and performance enhancements look great. We are currently a VC 2.5 U3 / ESX 3.0.2 shop, and my plan is to upgrade to VC 2.5 U4 / ESX 3.5 U4 within the next couple months, then implement SRM. We'll upgrade to 4.x early next year, I'm sure. Going through 2 upgrades won't be that big a deal, especially with update manager and since upgrades of VC and ESX hosts themselves don't take long, are reasonably fool-proof (if release notes are read!) and contingencies for rollback put into place.

Good luck to those going with 4.0 right out the gate! May there be few bugs and many appreciable gains for all going that route immediately.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
squirrelking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We'll upgrade to 4.x early next year, I'm sure. Going through 2 upgrades won't be that big a deal, especially with update manager and since upgrades of VC and ESX hosts themselves don't take long, are reasonably fool-proof (if release notes are read!) and contingencies for rollback put into place.

Except note, that you can't upgrade to vSphere with Update Manager.. (perhaps maybe in the future, but not anytime soon from what I've seen).

Thanks,

Dennis

VMware VAC - Premier

http://LewanPS.wordpress.com

---- VCP3 VCP4 VTSP VSP VMware Solution Provider Premier Partner VMware Authorized Consultant [http://blog.lewan.com]
0 Kudos
jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks---yeah, to clarify, I would upgrade 3.0.2 hosts to 3.5 U4 using Update Manager, then from 3.5 U4 to 4.0 either manually or via UM (if the latter supports upgrading to vSphere by the time I get to that point late this year / early next).

0 Kudos
BarryCoombs
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently completed the vSphere whats new course and we upgraded from 3.5 update 3 to vSphere using update manager. Is this not going to be supported in the final release or something?

Cheers

www.virtualisedreality.com | www.twitter.com/virtualisedreal

www.virtualisedreality.com | www.twitter.com/virtualisedreal
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it will be supported - you will be able to use VUM to go form 3.5 to 4.0 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Beside all the reason you stated here, you should also look at the new licensing model VMware trying to enforce in vsphere, it had become a major hit to most customers to go for an upgrade.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos