VMware Cloud Community
tien86
Contributor
Contributor

Can I vMotion VM from a Host ( CPU Haswell ) to EVC cluster ( CPU Skylale with EVC L6 )

I have a 6 chasiss with ~ 100 Blade running VM with CPU Haswell not configured EVC.

We going to buy more Blade with new CPU Skylake.

We dont want every VM online.

I going to create new EVC Cluster ( with EVC L6 ) and than vMotion VM from old Host to new Cluster. Is it possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert

Hi, Yes, this is possible to vmotion between clusters provided networking and storage config is the same.  However if you want to take advantage of the cpu instruction, you have to shutdown the VM and start it again.  Reboot is not enough.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

In your situation where you are adding these host as a new cluster then yes you can vMotion from older CPU to newer CPU.

however if you were adding them to an already existing cluster you would need to set the CPU level to Haswell to enable the ability to vMotion in both directions.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos