VMware Cloud Community
Query411
Contributor
Contributor

Can ESX install onto D: drive

I'm a newbie and have not played much with ESX, therefore, I was thinking to install it onto my laptop.

Per the hardware and HCL requirements, it meets all the specifications.

What I like to know is if my drive has a C: and 😧 partition, is it possible for ESX to be installed onto the 😧 partition? 😧 currently has data stored on it... And if it is installable, once installed, can I run vCenter or vSphere Client (installed on my C:) to manage/view the ESX server that was installed onto the 😧 partition?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Per the hardware and HCL requirements, it meets all the specifications.

A laptop?!?! you MUST be joking, no way a Laptop is on the HCL.

What I like to know is if my drive has a C: and 😧 partition, is it possible for ESX to be installed onto the 😧 partition? 😧 currently has data stored on it.

Has to be formatted, can't be existing...

And if it is installable, once installed, can I run vCenter or vSphere Client (installed on my C:) to manage/view the ESX server that was installed onto the 😧 partition?

Best thing for you to do is install VM Ware player, then install ESX as a VM, then you can manage it. ESX is bare metal, meaning it replaces the BASE OS, you can't dual boot ESX.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Very few if any laptops would satisfy the HCL. ESX(i) is a bare metal hypervisor which means it owns the hardware. You could not use the screen for viewing a Virtual machine or running another OS. You can try using VMware Workstation and installing ESX(i) as a Virtual Guest. Workstation installs on Linux or Windows so you could have vCenter running on the Windows OS or install it as a guest as well.

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

I would install ESX on top of VMware Workstation;

http://vmblog.com/archive/2007/11/01/more-on-installing-vmware-esx-server-inside-a-workstation-6-vm....

Regards,

Paul Kelly

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The workarounds in the link aren't necessary for Workstation 7. ESX(i) is a directly supported installation wizard OS. With enough RAM and supported CPU it is possible to set up multiple ESX(i) guests and vCenter to do vMotion etc.

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator